Leading societies to a low carbon future, Alstom develops and markets mobility solutions that provide the sustainable foundations for the future of transportation. Our product portfolio ranges from high-speed trains, metros, monorail, and trams to integrated systems, customised services, infrastructure, signalling and digital mobility solutions. Joining us means joining a caring, responsible, and innovative company where more than 70,000 people lead the way to greener and smarter mobility, worldwide
Are you seeking to enhance your career and join us on our journey as our (SPQD) Supplier Product Quality Development Engineer on a permanent basis and make your mark with a globally renowned organisation in the rail sector? You may come from an automotive or closely relatable sector. The Supplier Product Quality Development Engineer is a key integral role with an element of travel requiring you to visit suppliers in locations which may not be accessible by public transport in order for you to deliver the project quality activities for purchase parts and ensure that suppliers’ product and process development size for contract requirements.
What That Means Day To Day
You’ll be part of Alstom where you will monitor quality during the development phase of the supplier's product/process and ensure compliance with Alstom requirements. Other aspects of the role relating to quality activities during of Supplier Product/Process development include:
- Monitoring quality during the development phase of the supplier's product/process and ensure compliance with Alstom requirements
- Delivering project quality activities for critical purchased parts for his/her commodity from the release of the first Supplier Part List till the obtention of a positive First Article Inspection (FAI* with Go status): define & deploy the Part Approval Process/Supplier Product Quality Development cycle, contribute to all DFQ* milestones for the purchased part (descending and mounting phases of the V-cycle).
- Performing supplier quality risk assessments at Business award stage.
- Ensure with the project team that Quality Alstom requirements are respected by the supplier before the “Go Order” milestone (Quality Specification and SPQD Plan clause by clause).
- Being accountable for operational delivery of the validation of the industrial capability of the manufacturing process of the supplier (out of scope: validation of product under the responsibility of engineering + industrial capacity).
- Prepare and perform customer FAI when requested.
- Follow-up of the supplier deliverables through the dedicated portal: Supplier Quality Portal (SQP).
- Follow-up of supplier action plans; Supplier Quality Status (SQS). Drive supplier to meet FAI Go On Time target.
- Perform handover to Supplier Quality Serial Life (after FAI Go + first 3 successful deliveries)
- Triggering the supplier escalation process when SPQD deliverables are at risks & animate problem solving.
- Evaluating the maturity level of the supplier through the study of FMEA’s, control plan, skills matrix, work instructions, etc.
- Contribute to the solving of critical non-conformities and issues with suppliers, including warranty issues when escalated. In charge of Non Conformity problem solving until FAI Go and handover performed.
- In charge of preparing the first deliveries requirements for incoming inspection
*For the purpose of this job, the following definitions apply:
SQ: Supplier Quality
SPQD: Supplier Product Quality Development
SPL: Supplier Part List
FAI: First Article Inspection
FMEA: Failure Mode and Effect Analysis
SQS: Supplier Quality Status
DFQ: Development for Quality
Who We’re Looking For
At Alstom we are agile, inclusive and responsible in everything we do. These principles form our values and behaviours and are an essential component of our assessment process and are fundamental qualities that we seek for all roles. We are highly interested if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Quality or Engineering or equivalent.
- Familiar with supplier qualifications standards (ISO, ASME, IRIS, Local Standards, etc.)
- Ability to read supplier contracts and understand technical documentation of the scope
- Experience within manufacturing industry or in a Quality role or in a Project role
- Experience managing supplier relationships
- Experience using SAP or similar ERP system
- Quality professional background with knowledge of quality tools (PFMEA, control plan, QRQC, 8D, Quality Wall, etc.).
- Expertise in Supplier Quality processes at product & process development & execution phase
- Master’s degree in Quality or Engineering or equivalent.
- Management experience in Supplier Quality
- Automotive or Railway experience a "plus".
- Quality inspection experience within manufacturing industry.
- Experience with typical products used and their defect modes
- Experience in Quality / audit are valued
What we offer
We offer a highly competitive starting salary of c. £40K and 25 days annual leave with the opportunity to increase this to 30 days, healthcare, life assurance, an excellent company-contributed pension scheme, and a wide range of flexible benefits that you can tailor to suit your life-style.
The talent team are reviewing applications on an ongoing basis and the role will close as soon as a suitable person has successfully passed the assessment process. To be considered please send in your application as early as possible
We value inquisitive, innovative and motivated people who are passionate about working together to reinvent mobility, making it smarter and more sustainable.
Alstom is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive working environment where all our employees are encouraged to reach their full potential, and individual differences are valued and respected. We aim to have a welcoming and inclusive environment for individuals, of different ages, genders, ethnicities, disability, LGBT, religion and/or belief.
As a 'Disability Confident' employer, we will interview all disabled job applicants who match the essential criteria of the job description or specification: if you require any reasonable adjustments, please let us know.