Location: Remote work with occasional visit to manchester office
Duration: 6 months
Rate £400 a day (OUTISDE IR35)
Develop an understanding and capability of the sponsor role through shadowing, managing and supporting projects/programmes, funded by government, customer, stakeholder, or multiple funders, where Network Rail assumes a sponsorship role. Drive the development and implementation of specific small / medium sized schemes as directed by the lead sponsor.
- Work as part of the sponsor team to manage the development and implementation of specific schemes and work streams as directed by the lead sponsor.
- Support the interests of the funder, customer or stakeholder where appropriate within Network Rail.
- Actively participate in the remit process; review and comment on client, customer, and stakeholder requirements to test the viability of proposed schemes taking in to account value for money, network availability and capacity for future development and whole life cost.
- Under direction, produce investment papers for small / medium sized schemes and support the business case process.
- Provide input to the development of the initial project plan and budget; working with the lead sponsor and project manger to specify how the project will be delivered, expected milestones and associated timescales, risks and issues.
- Monitor progress on projects/programmes against agreed budgets, delivery plans and work programmes, challenge delivery partners as appropriate to correct adverse trends.
- Communicate and report project progress status to the lead sponsor, client, customer and stakeholders against defined and agreed milestones.
- Support the process of quantifying risk associated with the portfolio of projects. Work with the lead sponsor to devise mitigating actions and periodically review recovery progress.
- Participate in negotiations with customers and stakeholders on commercial and contractual terms in accordance with relevant corporate policy and strategy.
- Comply with the requirements of corporate investment regulations, other corporate governance and the Guide to Railway Investment Projects. Adhere to corporate processes, including those related to finance, legal and corporate affairs.
Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
- Experience of dealing with people at all levels
- Ability to communicate and articulate clearly and concisely
- Proven ability to write coherently; conveying report / investment information in a concise manner
- Commercially astute, persuasive, and customer focused
- Influencing and negotiating skills
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent
- Knowledge / understanding of the railway industry
- Knowledge / understanding of project environments
- Experience in negotiating contracts