What is the key purpose of this role?
To be a key member of the shielding team that provides in-house radiation shielding capability in support of NTS’ strategic objectives.
The capability will produce the necessary radiation protection input to the design process to facilitate package and vessel licensing for NTS, NDA Estate, and external customers.
Lead and support on the delivery of radiation shielding activities and projects and to provide radiation shielding advice.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience (Desirable)
The role requires an experienced shielding assessor with sufficient knowledge and experience to undertake radiation shielding activities. Typical qualifications, experience and skills required are:
- Recognised practitioner in radiation shielding.
- Experience across a range of radiation shielding assessments.
- Particular experience in transport shielding
- Chartered status or working towards chartered status or membership of a professional institute is desirable but not essential.
- Appropriate experience/knowledge/understanding of shielding assessment requirements.
- Understanding of other technical disciplines such as criticality safety, which contribute to the overall safety of a transport package.
- Ability to perform shielding modelling calculations and interpret the results; use of codes such as MCNP, RANKERN, FISPIN, SCALE, MICROSHIELD, ATTILA and MCBEND.
- Understanding of the implications of developments in software and hardware to maintain peak efficiency in assessments and ability to instigate local developments where appropriate.
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills.
If you would like to learn more please email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a call!