Salary: “Base salary: £63,050 c. £78,800 pa depending on skills and experience. In addition, we offer a flexible benefits fund of 20% which is paid on top of base salary and is fully pensionable, as well as a range of competitive benefits - check them out in the Benefits section on our website.
HS2 Ltd endeavours to ensure everyone working for us and with us feels included, thrives and achieves their full potential. In practice, this means we are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging our staff networks to flourish and providing personal and professional development opportunities.
As a Senior Project Engineer at HS2 you will execute legal and contractual technical duties on project engineering issues within the Integrated Project Team (IPT), leading risk based assurance of asset design and construction, assuring that it is in accordance with HS2’s technical requirements, standards and policies, in a timely and cost efficient manner.
About the role:
- To lead the risk based engineering technical assurance within the IPT, as per the HS2 assurance requirements, through engineering review, checking and submission of assurance evidence for technical stage gates;
- To assure that the design and construction of assets comply with the technical and sponsor requirements and applicable standards, specifications and procedures by supporting planned Technical Assurance Reviews and “spot-checks” of Contractor’s deliverables.
- To discharge the duties of NEC3 Supervisor and Principal Designer (CDM Regulations 2015) Representative as directed by Head of Engineering and Environment.
- To support Head of Engineering and Environment with internal and external reporting and risk identification and mitigation of engineering matters.
- To represent the Head of Engineering and Environment as requested in matters relating to CDM Principal Designer, NEC3 Supervisor or any other technical duty.
- Manage and communicate HS2 Engineering requirements to the IPT contractor.
- Provide guidance on design solutions for the asset, promoting use of best practice and innovative engineering techniques, technologies and processes, driving consistency and identifying opportunities for efficiencies within the IPT
- Work alongside Heads of Commercial and Project Clients to determine the impact of trends, progress and change with respect to cost and schedule.
- Work alongside other technical specialists, engineers and environmentalists to identify and develop appropriate and cost balanced mitigation strategies and solutions, contributing to successful system integration between station, railway systems and other delivery contracts.
- To assure the technical coordination and integration of the supply contracts with other neighbouring contracts, station contracts, railway systems contracts and others.
- To be the discipline engineer in technical areas for which they have the recognised technical competence.
- Actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures in EDI.
- Problem solving – Able to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions. This includes the management and planning of multiple workstreams and the competing demands of stakeholders.
- Decision Making – Able to gather and synthesise information, identifying options and applying sound judgement based on logic and reason, making use of a variety of analytical approaches to provide relevant information to suppliers, stakeholders and decision makers using key facts and data.
- Technical Leadership - Specialist technical support and leadership on most discipline-specific scientific, technical, and engineering principles but, knowing when to seek further guidance from Subject Matter Expert or others.
- Technical Leadership - Specialist technical support and leadership on discipline-specific analysis, problem solving and design techniques but, knowing when to seek further guidance from Subject Matter Expert or others.
- Technical Communication - Able to communicate some discipline-specific technical ideas to colleagues, based largely on examples of application.
- Technical Leadership - Able to apply principles and methods that ensure effective information management, modelling and data security; understands the approaches and consequences to data creation, transformation and visualisation and knowing when to seek guidance from Subject Matter Expert
- Applicable UK construction regulations including CDM requirements.
- Understanding of the Regulatory/Legislative Framework relevant to HS2
- Commercial awareness including understanding of cost delivery, schedule targets and the need to deliver an integrated solution that meets all functional requirements.
- Chartered Engineer/Membership of an appropriate professional institution or the equivalent experience.
- Experience in managing multi-disciplinary engineering and safety standards, activity on large complex major projects/ programmes within a complex infrastructure delivery programme.
- Experience of managing competing project and engineering demands, with cost and schedule implications.
The post-holder is expected to behave at all times in a manner consistent with the HS2 values of Safety, Leadership, Integrity and Respect
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
We ask for a variety of detail in your online application, however we perform the first assessment of suitability for a role based solely on the information in your CV. Please attach an updated word version of your CV for each new application and include evidence directly related to the criteria in the job advert. Any applications received after the closing date will not be considered.