Senior Mechanical Engineer
A Senior Mechanical Engineer is required to join the Hardware team in the R&D Department to deliver mechanical products for use in signalling system solutions.
Key responsibilities include
• Generation of conceptual design of mechanical products for railway signalling and control, working locally in a hardware R&D team but as part of the wider development community
• Responsible for detailed development of products, using Lean principles and 3D CAD/CAE modelling, incorporating mechanical analysis and verification testing
- Proving structural calculations
- Material properties comparison and selection
- Environmental condition analysis and testing
- Formal verification test and safety reports
- Hands-on assembly and testing of prototypes
- On-site testing of prototypes and support to trial installations
- Checking and approval of design, calculations, results and documents produced by other members of the team
- Liaising with manufacturing and supply chain
What do I need to qualify for this job?
• First degree or higher qualifications in mechanical engineering or a similar related discipline.
• Mechanical engineering knowledge, with analytical skills, including a knowledge of FEA (linear/non-linear), stress, friction, tolerance build-up etc.
• Possess good working knowledge of analytical methods such as FEA (linear/non-linear)
• Working knowledge of Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) tools
• Knowledge of electrical circuit design and /or basic PCB layout
• Experience in setting and driving simulations such as thermal etc.
• Experience of manufacturing methods and process both for prototyping and volume manufacturing.
• Experience of 2D and 3D CAD/CAE tools (ideally SolidWorks)
• Good attention to detail commensurate with safety-critical design
• Good PC skills including use of MS Office tools in a networked environment
• Possess good communication and presentation skills
• Understanding of the rigorous requirements of a safety-critical environment
• Ability to perform detailed FEA analysis (linear / non-linear)
• Chartered Status
• Experience in a manufacturing environment including prototyping and volume manufacturing
• Willingness to occasionally travel overseas.