With offices throughout the UK, SNC-Lavalin Atkins has an extensive history of supporting clients in the UK and overseas. With over 50,000 employees globally and a turnover of £5bn, following the acquisition of Atkins in July 2017, we are now one of the top 3 largest Engineering firms in the world.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Project Engineer/Consultant to work with an industry respected group of generalist engineers/consultants who provide project, technical, engineering and commercial support in main line freight and passenger, metro and light rail projects at all levels of the industry supporting new build and legacy rolling stock throughout the lifetime of the asset. Familiarity with rolling stock is desired, but not essential if you bring other relevant qualities to the role, gained either in other industries or other areas within the rail industry.
Read more about how you can thrive with us.
Our work on some of the most significant rail projects such as HS2, Crossrail and the East Coast Digital Programme, includes strategic and technical advice, technical specification and compliance, bid support, acquisition support, asset valuation, systems engineering and requirements management as well as project engineering and management in product improvement, refurbishment development and maintenance optimization projects. Our key clients include national and local government bodies, Network Rail, train leasing companies, financiers, train operators and manufacturers.
This is an opportunity for you to utilise your skills in a team comprised of experienced project and technical engineers and consultants from a variety of backgrounds including train manufacturing, service support and train and freight operating companies, ROSCO’s, all relating to passenger rolling stock and locomotives. The team also includes developing engineering and projects staff progressing from Graduate schemes, where you will be able to share your knowledge and experience to support in their growth potential.
The team provides support to a very wide client base, and our strength is gained from having a diverse pool of experience and knowledge, sharing expertise, and enabling us to support and respond to enquiries affecting all parts of the rolling stock lifecycle.
Providing high quality project and engineering rail consultancy project services to clients across a range of requirements. Sometimes working alone but more often working within either a client or internal team, you will be required to lead and direct staff in a project environment You will act as a source of guidance and expertise to others and assist the generation of new business for the Rolling Stock Delivery Practice and wider Rail Consulting Practice.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, the job holder must be a self-motivated, enthusiastic team player with a flexible approach; able to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required in order to perform each essential duty satisfactorily:
- To provide high quality project and engineering services and deliverables across a wide variety of clients, both as an individual and through the effective and efficient coordination of wider Rail Consulting and other Practice resources.
- To lead engineering projects and assignments, ranging from small, engineered solutions to larger projects, as required.
- To contribute to existing and new work generated by other consultants when practical and required by the business.
- Work within your project and network to identify and support the development of future business pipelines, prospects and opportunities, contributing to the development of future workloads.
- To work within a collaborative team, that is customer-centric having shared learning and continuous improvement at its heart.
- To ensure an energetic approach is taken to create business continually seeking fresh opportunities to solve problems by exploiting the advantage of your contacts and knowledge and using technology to improve consistency and quality of delivery and drive down cost.
- To assist preparing, selling and delivering compelling propositions to rail companies and other clients across the world.
- To ensure projects are undertaken in accordance with corporate HSQE Management Systems and associated corporate management systems and documentation.
- Maintain professional expertise by participating in an approved Continuing Professional Development Scheme including continuing to develop your personal network.
- Manage or support tasks as allocated by the Team Leader for clients, including estimating, tendering, planning and execution.
Qualifications / Competencies:
- A degree qualified, Chartered Engineer or have similar status in a relevant engineering discipline.
- Have a good understanding of main line, metro or light rail rolling stock, rolling stock whole life care, or the railway system and/or regulation, or having identifiable and transferable skills that match the demands of the job description.
- Be driven, have flexibility and the ability to adapt to clients demands and requirements.
- Have good communication and presentational skills, good I.T. skills and the ability to write clear and concise text.
- Committed to continuous improvement of the organisation and a willingness to adopt new working methods and participate in quality initiatives designed to achieve that end.
Significant Rolling Stock experience in engineering in a project’s environment and/or project management, working within multi-disciplined project teams either in a new build, maintenance, refurbishment, or operating capacity. Ability to demonstrate the following:
- A working knowledge of the UK rail industry.
- A general understanding of Rolling Stock related to an engineering project’s environment.
- An understanding of Engineering Consultancy.
- A proven record of continuous professional development throughout your career.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs:
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
YourReward at SNC-Lavalin (snclavalin.com).
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a top global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed.
Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join.
Check out some of our recent, most exciting projects.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. The vetting process is delivered by United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) and may require candidates to provide proof of residency in the UK of 5 years or longer. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
#LI-UK #LI-ATKINS #LI-Transportation #RCPBLOGS