Atkins UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planners and consultants. The unique breadth of services in Transportation, combined with our scale, makes Atkins the leading UK transportation infrastructure consultancy. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility.
Train control is the technology that keeps a railway safe and allows a train to perform optimally. Communication systems are the key to making them work reliably and efficiently. We’re experts at designing, integrating, installing, operating, and maintaining these technologies, but we also capitalize on them by adding a human-centered, collaborative approach. By considering how rail needs to perform for the people who operate, maintain, and ride it, we make rail better for everyone who uses it.
Our client’s value that focus just as much as our work on some of the world’s most demanding railways. We also bring our whole lifecycle experience to whichever specific part of that cycle we’re working on. It means if we’re consulting on the design of a new signalling system, we’re also thinking about how it would be operated and maintained for decades to come.
Within our Rail Control Systems team, this role is to provide high quality Rail Control Systems (RCS) consultancy services with a focus on communications systems, control systems, systems integration, operational control or signalling.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- The successful candidate will act as a source of guidance and expertise both to clients and to colleagues, ensuring a proactive approach is taken to resolving issues and identifying and working around constraints, and demonstrating a consistently high standard of delivery.
- Supporting the procurement / bidding of RCS assignments through technical leadership.
- Developing client feasibility studies to aid business decisions.
- Responsible of technical management of external interfaces.
- Developing and optimizing operational concepts and interfaces.
- Preparing and presenting technical publications.
Essential Experience & Skills:
- The candidate must have the positive attitude and strong work ethic required to work within a dynamic professional services team.
- The ability to multitask is essential, as most of our team will contribute to several assignments at once.
- The candidate's experience should demonstrate accountability for actions and a logical approach to decision making.
- Education to degree level in a relevant discipline.
- Solid post graduate experience within one of the following sectors or technologies: ETCS, CBTC, TMS, GSM-R, Railway Signalling, Control Systems, Operational Control, or wider Comms sector.
- Excellent knowledge of system architecture, and key system features and functions.
- Demonstrable experience of complex stakeholder management.
- Experience of multi-disciplinary projects applying system integration techniques across multiple railway assets.
- Demonstrable experience across the assurance and approvals process.
- Thorough experience of autonomously producing technical specifications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication standards.
Desirable Experience & Skills:
- Expertise of a wide range of comms systems technologies including data centers and cloud-based services.
- Experience and knowledge of cyber security, data analytics or artificial intelligence and their application to RCS solutions.
- Experience in different locations and railway contexts around the world (and ability to travel).
- Active member of a relevant institution or professional body.
- Candidates will be expected to work towards Chartered status if they have not already achieved this.
- Ability to speak and write in additional languages.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs
"To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees ""Total Reward."" It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need."
Read more about 'Total Reward'.
More about us
"Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once, they join. We're also a Silver Rating holder in the Aerospace & Defence sector, as per the Financial Times rating of the UK’s leading management consultants."
Check out some of our recent, most exciting projects.
"This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community - a place where we can all be ourselves, thrive and develop. To help embed inclusion for all, from day one, we offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and employee networks to support staff from different backgrounds. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.