The purpose of the job is to safely lead the delivery of selected projects within the Major Programmes portfolio on time, on budget and to quality. The Project Manager will lead the project through its life cycle by planning resources, allocating tasks and responsibilities, tracking financials, managing the schedule, monitoring and mitigating risks, and keeping stakeholders up to date, in order to deliver the project successfully.
SE Trains has accomplished significant change in 2022, as demonstrated in our highlights reel below - if you want to be a part of delivering exciting projects and change in the rail industry please do not hesitate to apply.
- Responsible for the timely, cost effective and high quality delivery of all projects assigned.
- Track and forecast all project costs, ensuring the project stays on budget and delivers good value.
- Identify, monitor and mitigate against project risks, holding regular risk reviews with stakeholders and maintaining a project risk register
- Ensure projects are delivered safely and in line with any health, safety, environmental and equality laws and regulation; promoting good safety culture and behaviour amongst all project members.
- Develop, own, maintain and track a project schedule, detailing the products, outcomes and decisions that will be delivered by whom and by when, and identifying the critical path, lifecycle phases and milestones.
- Identify and manage project stakeholders, promoting good communication and a collaborative working culture. Keep stakeholders up to date through project reports, and develop detailed communication and stakeholder plans where necessary.
- Develop and document project scope and requirements
- Manage the project throughout all stages of the lifecycle. Develop a clear delivery strategy, ensuring roles and responsibilities are made clear. Track progress of delivery through metrics and reports.
- Track lessons learnt throughout the lifecycle, and incorporate lessons learnt from previous projects throughout key decisions.
The Ideal Candidate
- Formal project or programme qualification or accreditation (PRINCE2, APM foundation or practitioner) and a practical understanding of project management principles, tools and techniques
- Demonstratable evidence of previous successful project delivery
- Degree educated or with equivalent experience
- Experience of working in a train operating company, or similar environment
- Ability to work with others and provide leadership, through good stakeholder management, and communication and influencing skills
- Strong skills in planning and organising
- High standards of written and oral English with experience in Microsoft Excel, Word, Powerpoint and Project
We want our Project Management Team to be diverse in experience, therefore if your project management experience is from any discipline - including construction, technology, engineering or simply as a generalist - we would love to hear from you.
Hear why SE Trains is a fantastic place to work from our colleagues across the business.
Southeastern recognises the value of every individual employee and offers benefits that reflect this.
As well as a generous salary, we offer an comprehensive benefits package which includes;
- A Contributory Final Salary Pension Scheme
- Free rail travel on Southeastern and GTR rail services (extends to family members for leisure/educational travel)
- After a qualifying period, reduced rate travel on other train operators, including European services
- Up to 25 days annual leave entitlement (plus bank holidays)
- Private healthcare
- Access to an array of discounts for retail and leisure products through our benefits scheme.
- Family friendly benefits including enhanced maternity/paternity leave, parental leave and carers leave.
The rules bit …
If you have been unsuccessful in the recruitment process for the same/similar position you will not be eligible to apply for a period of 6 months from that date.
All offers of employment are subject to us obtaining satisfactory references (covering all education, training, employment and unemployment in the preceding 5 years and any previous railway employment). We will also complete right to work in the UK and criminal record checks. This is to ensure we are employing the best person for the role and to protect our customers, colleagues and our reputation. There will also be a pre-employment medical. We are unable to offer sponsorship to work in the UK.
The successful candidate will need to pass a full PTS medical.
This post will close before the intended closing date should sufficient number of suitable applications be received. Therefore, if you are interested in applying for this role, we suggest that you do so at the earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment.
This role is hybrid working but we will also consider applicants who require flexible working - of which we can discuss in the interview.
About the Company
Southeastern runs train services into London from Kent and East Sussex, operating almost 1,700 trains a day, carrying more than 400,000 passengers, serving 176 stations and covering 540 miles of track.
Just over 4,600 employees - mostly from the communities that we serve - work together to provide this vital service and we are looking to expand our successful team. We have a strong set of values that shape the way we run our business and guide our staff in delivering what our customers need. These are:
- We aim to be the best
- We make the difference together
- We care passionately about our people and our passengers