This is a 37 hour week.
Purpose of the role
To be a team member of a Flexible Production cell, providing high quality products and systems. Able to carry out all mechanical assembly and electrical cable wiring / looming work associated with the manufacture of Wayside or Onboard equipment cabinets, including their testing (point to point, electrical safety and where required functional), as instructed by a Cell Leader. To ensure adherence to quality and health and safety procedures as laid down by legislation and Company requirements.
Prepare and / or assemble mechanical Wayside or Onboard enclosures in readiness for equipment integration and wiring, as detailed in Assembly Drawings and / or Work Instructions.
Install electrical and electronic equipment into Wayside or Onboard enclosures as detailed in Assembly Drawings and / or Work Instructions.
To manufacture individual cables and looms as detailed in Wiring Drawings and Wiring Schedules in preparation for installation to Wayside or Onboard enclosures. This will include determining wire length, stripping cables, soldering, crimping and assembling connectors. (Note: Whilst the intent of the site is to ensure cable loom routings are standardised the successful candidate will have the capability to free wire products to industry standards)
Install cables and cable looms as details in Wiring Drawings and Wiring Schedules into Wayside and Onboard enclosures. This will include ensuring cables are routed in accordance with Cable Harness drawings, company and industry standards are complied with, cables are secure and protected where required.
Interpret manufacturing documentation in order to be able to be able produce labels to identify Wayside and Onboard enclosures, equipment and cables
Perform standard point to point and electrical safety tests as defined in test instructions and where required to perform functional testing. This will include setting up and configuring each enclosure and test equipment and recording test results
General duties may include:
- Rack and cubicle assembly and wiring.
- Loom preparation – wiring, crimping, wire-stripping etc.
- Loom installation – routing, securing, terminating etc.
- Use of encapsulation machine.
- Electronic/Light Mechanical Visual Inspection.
- Electronic/Electrical Test.
- Competent in the use of Semi-Automatic Test Equipment
- G/A Assembly
Your performance will be measured on the basis of:
- Individual competence Quality of work
- Non-conformity costs i.e. rework
- On time delivery
- Flexibility and team participation
The above/below is not an exhaustive list and other duties may be included as and when required to carry out this position, or others in the factory..
Preference will be given to candidates educated to O.N.C. level minimum in the discipline of Electronic / Electrical Engineering
Relevant experience required
- Preference will be given to candidates with practical “hands on” experience of assembly, wiring and testing of similar safety critical products in a Lean manufacturing environment.
- Ability to read and interpret production documents: (parts lists, wiring drawings, wiring schedules, GA drawings, test spec. etc.)
- Experience of using electronic test equipment
- Experience using PC Windows Software
- Good manual dexterity
- Ability to investigate production and test faults
- Flexible and active team member
- Good communicator to be able to provide manufacturing feedback to Production Engineering and/or Quality
- Experience of Continuous Improvement and participating in Kaizen events
Specialized or cross-functional knowledge / relevant experience required by the position/role
- Experience of safety critical systems for rail and / or transportation industries or closely similar.
- Experience of Free Wiring equipment racks or cubicles