Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping our business? We’ve recently won a range of contracts to deliver exciting Operational Safety related projects in our Intelligent Mobility and Smart Technology consultancy practice. We're looking for an experienced consultant with safety governance, road safety or safety risk experience in the highways or traffic engineering fields to build and deliver our strong pipeline of work and support future growth.
This Principal Consultant Safety Risk and Operations (Highways) role focuses on contributing to the next generation of human-centred and safety-led design requirements. You’ll ensure risk-based decision making happens across our business, applying GG 104 on National Highways projects, and supporting sound decision making in the application and interpretation of design requirements, for example through Departures from Standard development or through design standard and policy development projects.
Providing smart solutions to complex problems, with client relationships being at the heart of what you will do. You will be taking a key role in the technical delivery in an emerging and important part of our business, demonstrating your technical excellence and providing high quality project delivery. It will necessitate a passion for collaboration, technical knowledge and excellent project delivery experience. The role will include a UK wide work and possibly overseas work.
Your core skills will include technical consultancy and project delivery, strength in managing client relationships, and maintaining your industry networks. You want to make a real contribution to exciting and best in class projects within a forward-thinking company. You thrive in a fast-paced environment and enjoy finding innovative solutions to existing problems. You don't tackle these situations alone: you like to engage with others, explain complex ideas, and especially enjoy encouraging other people to develop and grow.
Does this sound like you? Can you see yourself in this role? We'd love you to apply!
What will you be doing?
You’ll be contributing your expertise through a mixture of delivering technical work; managing projects to deliver on time, on budget and of an exceptional quality; and contributing to the processes of winning work to secure a future pipeline of opportunities for operational safety work.
Key areas of responsibility will include:
- Managing complex technical projects and the delivery of high quality, innovative solutions.
- Acting as a critical self-dependent reviewer and operational safety lead to ensure safety-led and risk-based decision making.
- Assisting on the development of bids, and propositions and winning that work.
- Liaising with clients/customers, developing relationships and networks, and identifying business opportunities.
- Technical leadership, consultancy and assurance.
The Transportation division in Atkins brings together the capabilities of our Highways and Rail teams into a single business of 3,000 talented engineers and professionals. You will be working within Intelligent Mobility and Smart Technology (IMST), a growing practice of around 80 engineers, consultants, scientists, and technical specialists transforming the future of transport. The IMST team assists public sector organisations in a wide number of activities, providing ‘whole life’ consultancy across the breadth of a project.
Typically, these include:
- High value strategic and technical advice, feasibility, and scoping studies.
- Business case development, new business models, requirements capture.
- Scheme performance evaluation and optimisation.
- High level design work and technical assurance.
- Specification and technical document development.
- Research and development studies.
- Project management.
Our Technical Expertise:
Our Safety Risk and Operations team is part of the IMST practice and provides safety leadership on a broad range of our projects across the business including complex highway improvement schemes, network operation challenges such as severe weather, the next generation of active travel schemes and trials and pilots for the future improvements to safety features and control systems.
The IMST practice itself covers a broad range of disciplines, including ITS and future-focused technology opportunities, working across the transport sector to help our clients navigate a rapidly changing world. In addition to world-class safety, risk, and operations expertise, we have top in the market capability in motorway control systems, toll road systems, urban traffic control, traffic operations, traffic signalling and smart ticketing. We blend this with thinking and advice on emerging trends and growing areas such as digital highways, mobility as a service (MaaS), big data and data exploitation, electric vehicles (EVs), and connected and autonomous Vehicles (CAVs). We deliver projects that push the boundaries of transportation and consider road safety, human factors, and scientific behavioural research as complimentary disciplines to our established technical practice.
You’ll need to have:
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree – this could be in the Sciences, Engineering or IT, or indeed in any subject with the technical or logical elements suited to consultancy.
- Membership of a relevant professional body. E.g CIHT, SaRS, ICE etc.
- Experience of application of Safety Risk Management processes e.g., GG104 Requirements for Safety Risk Assessment or via National Highways’ PCF.
- Ability assisting the resolution of complex operational issues and development of approaches to address them.
- Experience of guiding quantitative and qualitative data examining to understand safety performance.
- Ability to assist risk assessment including the identification of hazards and mitigations.
- Knowledge of the legal aspects of highways safety risk e.g., Highways Act, Health and Safety at Work Etc. Act.
- Consultancy or client-facing experience with great examples of delivering quality projects.
- Confidence to constructively voice an unpopular thought in the interest of safety and risk management.
- Business development experience, managing client or customer relationships.
- Awareness of best practice approaches for the management of Road User and Road Worker risk in a highway’s environment e.g., Road Safety Audit is also desirable.
You’ll also be able to demonstrate experience of -
- Collaborative behaviours and professional networking skills.
- People management skills.
- Working as part of a team in a multi-discipline environment.
- Strong logical problem-solving skills.
- Financial and commercial acumen.
- Initiative, creativity, and resourcefulness.
- Developing and presenting innovative technical solutions.
- Stakeholder engagement and client relationship management.
- Maintaining an excellent and effective professional network.
- Managing priorities in a high-pressure environment.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs:
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
YourReward at SNC-Lavalin (snclavalin.com).
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed.
Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join.
Check out some of our recent, most exciting projects.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements. We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community - a place where we can all be ourselves, thrive and develop. To help embed inclusion for all, from day one, we offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and employee networks to support staff from different backgrounds. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.