Rail Consulting Job Definition – Principal Consultant (Mass Transit)
SNC-Lavalin is one of the top three largest Engineering organisations in the world, with over 50,000 employees and a turnover of £5bn. The Rail Consulting Practice is part of the SNC-Lavalin family and sits within the Atkins UK Transportation business. In Rail Consulting we work across the rail life-cycle helping our clients in both the UK and overseas to navigate through a rapidly changing world.
The Rail Consulting Practice is made up of three distinct Practices and thirteen Sub-Practices, all of which are supported by a Win Work team. The Rail Systems & Infrastructure (RS&I) Practice within Rail Consulting is a highly successful and respected team of 130+ people providing an established portfolio of engineering services within the global mass transit train control system markets, which covers the whole project lifecycle, from early feasibility into procurement, delivery, commissioning and through operations and maintenance. Our world-class engineering capability ensures that our clients can identify and overcome the challenges of ever-greater project complexity, meeting delivery and cost targets and providing safe, reliable infrastructure. The Mass Transit Sub-Practice has a great market position and reputation with our clients, which include Transport for London, New York MTA, Oslo Metro and Glasgow Subway and provides mass transit industry experts with experience in all areas of mass transit systems from GoA0 through to fully automated GoA4 systems, based on CBTC and conventional signalling technologies and supporting systems. The Sub-Practice has team members based in our Plymouth, London and Swindon offices in the UK.
Read more about how you can thrive with us.
We offer great scope for developing your career and achieving your goals within Rail Consulting. Working within our team you’ll be able to see the impact you make and gain experience on a wide range of projects. We're passionate about what we do, but we don't take ourselves too seriously. Simply put, this a great place to be and when you join us, you'll be a part of a genuinely collaborative environment, where everyone's voice is valued and treated equally.
To help embed inclusion for all, from day one, we offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and employee networks to support staff from different backgrounds. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability. Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview so we can work with you to make any adjustments you might need.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
As a Principal Consultant working within the Mass Transit Sub-Practice, you will report into a Team Leader.
Core Role Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders and support the process of driving sub-practice improvement.
- Be a source of expertise for both colleagues and clients, acting as a role model to all staff, and contribute to high levels of engagement and performance.
- Support and encourage personal development of staff and help to ensure sub-practice skills and capacity meet the needs of the market.
- Understand external market dynamics, drivers, and associated opportunities in order to support the identification and securing of a pipeline of work for the sub-practice.
- Contribute to bidding activities and provide technical and commercial input where needed.
- Foster great client relationships and support the client feedback process to ensure client-facing activities are constantly improved.
- Support the development of a culture where people provide high quality work through the end-to-end delivery process, ensuring that client expectations are exceeded wherever possible, and that processes are optimized and improved over time.
- Lead the governance of specific projects of all complexities to ensure risk is mitigated through compliance to required corporate and client requirements.
- Work collaboratively to support the creation of financial and operational performance budgets and forecasts which balance stakeholder needs and expectations with the capacity and capability of the practice.
- Contribute to the delivery of financial and operational performance in line with budgets and forecasts, seeking out opportunities wherever possible to over-deliver against agreed targets.
- Engage with key stakeholders to support the implementation of a market-facing sub-practice strategy which balances the needs of all stakeholders across the short, medium, and long term whilst ensuring growth, profitability, and sustainability.
Core Role Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Strong leadership and communication skills with the ability to inspire, collaborate, and engage effectively across small-to-medium sized teams.
- Track record of developing self and others to deliver demonstrable results.
- Able to establish trusted relationships with clients and get satisfaction from meeting and exceeding client expectations.
- Possess commercial acumen and technical knowledge and be able to contribute to the positioning of the sub-practice as a leading partner.
- Possess a proactive and client-focused attitude towards delivery.
- Ability to critically assess projects of all complexities to identify risks and opportunities and use project management and governance processes to balance business and client needs.
- Experience of supporting the creation and successful delivery of financial and operational performance budgets and forecasts, taking inputs from various stakeholders.
- Track record of supporting the implementation of strategies which reconcile the needs of key stakeholders and time horizons.
- Evidence of successful implementation and delivery of these strategies
- Possesses solid experience and expertise commensurate with the role and grade within one or more of the following sectors or technologies: CBTC, TMS, Metro Signalling, Control Systems, or Operational Control with knowledge of system architecture, and key system features and functions.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs
"To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees ""Total Reward."" It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need."
Your Benefits (snclavalin.com)
More about us
"Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once, they join. We're also a Silver Rating holder in the Aerospace & Defence sector, as per the Financial Times rating of the UK’s leading management consultants."
Check out some of our recent, most exciting projects.
"This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. The vetting process is delivered by United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) and may require candidates to provide proof of residency in the UK of 5 years or longer. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.” #LI-UK #LI-ATKINS #LI-Transportation #RailSNC #RCPBLOGS