Your New Role:
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Principal Civil Engineer - Bridges to join our Civils Assessment team in York.
The Civils Assessment team comprises approximately 60 Engineers and Technicians at all levels. Our core work is producing the technical assessments for a wide array of railway bridges and structures on the Network Rail Civil Assessment Framework Agreement (CAFA) contract, but we also provide structural assessment services for clients throughout the UK such as Network Rail, Transport for Wales and Local Authorities.
As a Principal Civil Engineer within our team, you will play an important part in the assessment of rail structures, including: Underline bridges, Overline bridges, Footbridges, Undercrofts, Canopies, Train sheds, Side Bridges and Tunnels (that directly support external traffic loads).
The standard hours of work are 37.5 hours per week.
You will be responsible for:
- Preparation and check of technical assessment/design remits, calculations, reports and drawings, complying with all relevant technical standards and client requirements.
- Preparation for and undertaking inspection/examination of assets, providing on-site technical leadership, where required.
- Maintaining high technical standards, consistent with the project Technical Specification and in accordance with the requirements of the Amey Integrated Management System including Health & Safety, Environmental and all other appropriate regulations relevant standards and HSEQ documentation.
- Maintaining knowledge of industry best practice and where appropriate applying best practice and independent engineering judgement within the team environment.
- Leading the supervision and mentoring of less experienced or junior staff in the production of technical drawings, reports, calculations and provision of feedback as appropriate.
- Providing office or contract level support to the training, mentoring and development of staff to achieve appropriate professional qualifications and career ambitions, playing an active role in the delivery of training programmes.
- Engaging in client and third-party liaison and maintaining good working relationships that enhance the reputation of the company.
- Where required, undertake contractual accountabilities as defined in the appropriate contractual documents or technical standards when assigned, e.g. NR/L2/INI/02009 Contractor's Engineering Manager (CEM) or Contractor's Responsible Engineer (CRE).
- Ensuring that health, safety and environmental compliance requirements, including the CDM Regulations, are applied within a defined proportion of the CAFA business.
- Working with the project team in the preparation of cost estimates and subsequent successful delivery of commissions to programme, within budget and to the client's requirements.
We want to hear from you if you have:
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Civil Engineering or associated subject - or equivalent.
- Chartered Engineer or Incorporated Engineer (CEng / IEng through ICE, CIHT or IStructE) or working towards.
- Thoroughly conversant with industry design/analysis software, e.g. Superstress, Lusas, Tedds, Masterseries, Leap Bridge, Archie-M, Ring, etc.
- Extensive experience in railway structure inspection, assessment and design schemes.
- Strong experience in the assessment / design of all major construction materials, including historical materials, e.g. cast iron, wrought iron.
- Proven track record in the training, mentoring and development of staff to achieve appropriate professional qualifications and career ambitions.
- In depth knowledge of current and relevant health and safety, environmental and sustainability legislation.
- Previous exposure to local and national Clients, e.g. Network Rail Routes, Local Authorities, Network Rail National, Principal Contractors.
- Strong experience in the delivery of structure designs and/or assessments through Highways England and/or Network Rail national standards.
- Demonstrable experience successfully leading teams in the production of contract specific deliverables to programme, budget and quality.
What we offer you?
When you join us, we can offer flexibility, career development, a choice of benefits and support that help you through all life's ups and downs. It's the reason why Investors in People put us among the top 1% of employers and we have a competitive reward and benefits program.
- Career Development - Exceptional development and progression plan
- Pension - Generous Pension scheme which we will contribute to
- Holidays - Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Choices - Our flexible benefits scheme is tailored by you, including buying additional annual leave, cycle2work scheme, charity giving and gym membership
- Save with Amey - Our online voucher portal gives you access to thousands of discounts from leading retailers to help you save on shopping, days out, or nights in. It includes healthcare, free GP service, dental vouchers
- Social Value - You'll get 2 Community Involvement Days each year to volunteer for a charity of your choice and further opportunities to support fundraising initiatives
We embrace difference and support individuals to work in ways that work best for them.
We are committed to working sustainably and by working in partnership with the communities we serve, so people and the planet are protected.
At Amey, you have freedom to perform because we know if nothing holds you back, together, we can be extraordinary.
Amey is committed to Inclusion and Diversity. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates, regardless of their race, gender, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Please contact our recruitment team at to discuss any access needs and reasonable adjustments that may be required at any point during the recruitment process.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy before the closing date should we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.
Apply today - We are excited to hear from you!