ScotRail has played a critical role in keeping people moving during the pandemic, with services helping get key workers and others to where they need to be. There has been significant investment across the network to electrify lines, and on new and upgraded trains. This helped to deliver ScotRail’s highest ever score for customer satisfaction in the most recent National Rail Passenger Survey. With more than 5,000 employees, we are looking for people who are focussed on our customers, to continue delivering the best possible service for people throughout the country.
Twice accredited as a Top Employer and having achieved Investors in Diversity, we value our people and aim to inspire, attract, and keep the best talent and provide our people with a safe place to truly thrive at work.
We are dedicated in helping to close the diversity gap across the rail industry and would love to see more young people, women, people from ethnically diverse backgrounds, LGBT+ employees and disabled people. Supporting diversity and inclusion is a big part of who we are, we are not looking for people to fit into our culture but add to it.
At ScotRail, we proactively embrace diversity across our workforce. To build a more sustainable future, we need the best team- a team with a diverse mix of people and skills, where everyone feels valued and heard and able to thrive. We recognise that we are under-represented in terms of women, young people, disabled people and people from ethnically diverse backgrounds. We’re therefore taking positive steps to promote a positive and inclusive culture; we welcome applications from those that identify with these groups to better represent the communities we serve.
THE ROLE: To lead and coordinate the effective delivery of ScotRail’s parking and station connectivity activity including development of annual action/delivery plans for Scotland’s Railway Car Parking & Station Connectivity Strategy (2021-2042). The role will seek to support and enhance rail-based end-to-end journeys, attract additional customers, and the associated revenue onto the railway, whilst also allowing passengers to make personally economical and sustainable journey choices.
To lead the development of an improved customer proposition from our car parking estate to ensure:
- that our car parks are operated and used in a consistent, safe and efficient way
- that future investment and business decisions are aligned with long-term changes in travel behaviours
- that future investment in station parking and connectivity aligns with the NTS’s Sustainable Travel Hierarchy and Sustainable Investment Hierarchy
- our car parking estate and station access arrangements support the recovery of railway patronage following the impact of COVID19
- maximising the revenue from our current estate both directly (charging and other uses) and indirectly (maximise parking for increased rail usage).
Policy, Strategy & Delivery
- Lead the delivery of Scotland’s Railway Parking & Station Connectivity Strategy (2021-42) through the development and implementation of an annual Parking & Connectivity action/delivery plan
- Be accountable for ensuring ScotRail’s response to Transport Scotland’s key policy area of ‘Car Parking’ and coordinate action, activity, monitoring and reporting to meet the key Outcomes and Outputs of this policy and future business needs
Management, Operation & Monitoring
- Oversee the effective operation and management of existing parking estate including charging, payment mechanism(s), safety & security and enforcement etc
- Develop partnership working with local authorities and others to support operation and enforcement within parking estate
- Create and coordinate delivery of ScotRail’s Car Park misuse policy and work with British Transport Police (BTP) and others, as to how this can be effectively managed in the interests of the rail users
- Develop and maintain a ScotRail Car Park database with ScotRail Passenger Information Services team to ensure regular car parking survey/reporting is undertaken
- Oversee and monitor the recovery of station parking, as the pandemic eases, and action responses to any emerging misuse of our parking estate
Collaboration & Partnership
- Work with the ScotRail Transport Integration Manager, Active Travel Manager and other colleagues to ensure the car parking and station connectivity activity is coordinated and aligned with other initiatives to develop and enhance multiple modes of access to stations.
- Work with Property services team and stations team to monitor performance of car parking assets and ensure reliability of service is provided for charging, payment, barriers etc and service quality requirements are achieved.
- Work with Access and inclusion to ensure we maintain the required accessibility provision and ensure EQIA undertaken for any proposed changes.
- Establish and coordinate collaborative cross-functional teams to develop and deliver projects, policies and initiatives where appropriate.
- Establish a Station Car Park Operators Forum with third-parties who operate car parks for the benefit of rail passengers
- Act as ScotRail’s expert and main point of contact for external stakeholders on matters relating to existing and new car parking investments
Investment & Initiatives
- Work with the Network Rail Strategic Planning and ScotRail Strategic Planning teams to monitor new and enhanced train service developments and make proposals around station car parking capacity
- Introduce infrastructure enhancements (e.g. ‘contactless’ payment options, electric-vehicles) that reflects and responds to changes in technology and associated passenger behaviours/expectations
- Identify opportunities for increased and improved car parking including potential third-party investment into the car parking estate
- Assist in identifying and delivering additional revenue opportunities utilising existing car parks e.g. car-hire, electric charging etc
Marketing & Promotion - The Customer Journey
- Identify and assist in the marketing and promotion of opportunities to enhance the use of our car parking estate by rail and non-rail users, at a national, regional and localised level, to maximise usage, increase revenue and support wider sustainability ambitions
- Deliver regular progress reports as required to Head of Service, Functional Directors, Scottish Rail Holdings and Transport Scotland.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- General knowledge of car parking and other key transport/connectivity subject areas
- Proven experience of operating at a senior level and successfully overseeing the management and operation of parking estates
- Relevant experience in the successful management of service enhancements and investment projects.
- Experience of working with multiple stakeholders to coordinate strategy development and delivery
- Experience of working with and influencing colleagues, senior management and wider stakeholders
- Knowledge and understanding of available and emerging system/process enhancements and digital/alternative delivery methods.
- Ability to review operational processes with a view to improving efficiency and minimising costs
- Educated to degree level or equivalent relevant experience
- Commercial and financial awareness.
- Knowledge of the principles of investment/business case processes and procedures.
- Knowledge of/experience in the UK rail industry
Hours of work: 35-hour week Monday – Friday. Reference Salary: £35k - £40k per annum depending on experience.
We’ll ensure you’re rewarded for your contribution with a competitive package that includes:
- Contributory Final Salary Pension scheme
- Free and reduced rate rail travel for you and your family, where applicable.
- Generous holiday allowance
- Hapi benefits package, offered to everyone at ScotRail
Selection process: Assessment and Interview may form the initial stages of the selection process. The final stage for successful candidates will be a medical questionnaire. Appointees must submit at least two satisfactory references, Disclosure Scotland clearance and complete a six-month probation period. Training initially involves attendance on our virtual Induction Training Programme.