Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It's a diverse and inclusive work environment where world-class talent knows no distinctions.
We know that different people have different priorities, which is why we're here to support you.
Flexible and remote working is a central part of our culture. So, talk to us about what's ideal for you – from reduced weeks to buying more leave over school holidays. And if you're returning from a career break, ask us how we can help you transition back into work with us.
Atkins is one of the world's leading rail engineers. Its rail business is the largest in its field in Europe. Overhead Line Equipment (OLE) is an integral part of the UK railway system providing traction power to electric trains on all major main lines. The Atkins OLE design team is one of the longest-established teams in the UK, with roots dating back to British Rail. We have been the OLE Lead Design Organisation on the majority of the recent new electrification schemes in the UK.
We undertake projects from feasibility through to detailed design and construction management. Our engineers are skilled in the design of OLE projects, including the production of Layout Plans, Cross sections, Switching cross sections, Section Diagrams and Bonding plans. Our designs encompass all elements of the OLE System from the structural steelwork through to the wiring fittings themselves and electrical feeding arrangements.
We are proudly part of the Central Rail Systems Alliance (CRSA) which is delivering a wide range of renewals and enhancements over an area from North London to the Scottish Border. We have committed forward workload and have a need to expand our design team to support these works.
We have vacancies for designers at all levels (Design, Senior and Principal). you will work in one of our busy design teams producing and checking design drawings, technical reports and calculation sheets, and presenting designs to the Client. There may also be a requirement for site survey activities using specialist OLE survey equipment.
A pre-employment medical and drug and alcohol screening will be required.
- Able to think logically and laterally, solving problems creatively and assessing them rationally.
- Able to multitask and respond to short-notice changes.
- Able to act with initiative and to take responsibility.
- Be self-motivated and able to work independently and within a team.
- Able to organise self and others.
- Able to work to time and cost budgets.
- Able to learn about new subjects quickly.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to express ideas, concerns, solutions, suggestions in written or oral form in such a way as to be understood by those with or without a technical background.
- Positive with a proactive ‘can-do’ attitude.
- Able to manage a small team of designers day-to-day both in person and remotely.
- Able to demonstrate experience in a similar role.
- HND or equivalent in a related engineering subject or working towards.
- Demonstrable understanding of UK OLE systems and previous extensive experience in Designing and Checking Allocation Designs to Form B level.
- Good understanding of the Rail Industry in the UK and the Contractor Client relationship.
- In-Depth knowledge of relevant International, National, Railway Group and Network Rail Standards.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Proficient in use of Microstation CAD software.
- Good organisational skills.
- Membership of relevant professional institution.
- Clean UK driving licence.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs:
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
Read more about 'Total Reward'.
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed.
Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join.
Check out some of our recent, most exciting projects.
Atkins is committed to developing its people both personally and professionally. Our colleagues have the advantage of access to a high ranging training portfolio and development activities designed to help make the best of individual’s abilities and talents. We also actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community - a place where we can all be ourselves, thrive and develop. To help embed inclusion for all, from day one, we offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and employee networks to support staff from different backgrounds. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.