Are you an experienced operations manager? Perhaps you’re searching for a new challenge or simply the chance to join an organisation that genuinely cares for and invests in its team…
Thanks to great successes with recent tenders, is looking to recruit an experienced operations manager. The successful candidate would work from either our Liverpool, Middlesbrough or York offices or, depending upon experience and location, from home. With competitive salaries, generous benefits packages and a fantastic working environment, working with SEP Rail Services could be the move you’ve been waiting to make.
We’ll need an up-to-date CV and a covering letter or email. If you’re considered for the first round of interviews, you’ll be asked to take part in an informal telephone interview. Should you be successful at that stage, you’ll move on to a face-to-face interview.
All candidates must be eligible to work in the UK at the time off application.
Purpose of the Role
- To ensure operational commitments are met on all survey projects
- To lead the team of Surveyors in on-site operations and post-processing activity
- To prepare progress reports for client meetings and updates for the contract programme
- To provide assistance with tender receipt, review and preparation
- To ensure all document control procedures are adhered to
- To act as a Senior Manager Responsible for Safe Work planning.
- To ensure Sentinel procedures are adhered to
- To undertake regular Risk assessments
- To deputise as required for the Managing Director
- To deputise as required for the Sentinel Co-ordinator
Safe Work Planning
- will decide how work is to be prioritised, planned and delivered
- is accountable for the preparation of the SWP and may delegate responsibility for the preparation of the SWP to the Planner
- will provide the Planner with the resources, including documents and guidance to enable them to perform their role as detailed in 6.1
- will authorise or reject the SWPs prepared by the Planner and verified by the Person in Charge. By authorising the SWP, the Responsible Manager agrees:
- the level in the hierarchy of control for operational risk is appropriate for the location and nature of work
- the specific safe system of work is available for use in the location
- the task risk has been adequately assessed and control measures identified
- nominate the Person(s) in Charge (and the work group where appropriate) who understand the risks, and complexity of the work activity being delivered
- will check the Person in Charge nominated is familiar with the location, type of work and safe system of work arrangements required or can familiarise themselves with them
- will make the necessary resources (including equipment, people and time) available to the Person in Charge to allow them to implement the SWP as planned
- will check all implemented SWPs that are returned with highlighted errors or amendments
- will check that any errors or changes have been corrected before the SWP is reissued for future work and that incorrect plans have been withdrawn from use
- Safety – Actively demonstrate support for the implementation of the SEP Rail Services Safety, Health, Environment and Quality (SHEQ) strategy, associated actions and resulting initiatives.
- Profitability – Provide cost effective support to the Engineering department by ensuring effective management and administering of operational requirements.
- Quality – Provide accurate reports and timely delivery conforming to best practice and industry standards.
- Respect – Treat people in a fair and consistent way. Consistently strive to understand client’s needs and requirement.
- To support the Managing Director in the delivery of all survey contracts
- To provide leadership and guidance to the teams of Lead Surveyors and Surveyors, including identifying training and envelopment needs.
- Provide professional technical guidance on surveying processes and techniques, ensuring work is conducted to the required standard.
- Through good change management and efficient operational delivery identify opportunities to support the growth of surveying
- To ensure timely reporting and client liaison firmly establishing an excellent customer/supplier relationship
- To identify subcontract resource as required
- To identify internal efficiencies through effective programming and delivery
- To understand and adhere to contractual requirements and commitments
- To assist in the preparation of tender returns
- Act as a safety champion within surveying helping to embed behavioural based safety and carry out site safety tours as required
- Conduct all activities required to ensure safe successful delivery and deputise for the Managing Director as required
- Ensure work is planned and completed in accordance with NR/L2/OHS/019
- Operational experience within a rail surveys environment
- Have a good understanding of contractual obligations and commitments
- To understand key roles within the team and gain efficiency through optimising resource
- Be able to identify change and claims
- Be an effective communicator and be capable of representing the business at client level
- Have a good understanding and assist with the tendering process
- Lead technical and operational activity on-site and post processing
- Act as Contractors Responsible Engineer as required
- Possess a good understanding of the operational railway environment and in particular surveying
- Be able to carry out site safety tours and audits to the requirements of the business
- Professional approach to managing and delivering programming activities
- Effective people manager
- Good communicator
- Flexible and adaptable in changing circumstances
- Ability to prioritise work and organise team resources
- Ability to make decisions to support the requirements of the business
It is the policy of SEP Rail Services, SEP Rail Design and SEP Rail Engineering to provide equal employment opportunities to all persons. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, creed, gender, sex, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or information or any other characteristic protected by law.