ON TRAIN HOSPITALITY ASSISTANT
Start your journey to a career with Scotrail and explore Scotland’s Railway while delivering a first-class hospitality service to customers from across Scotland and beyond. Come on board and enjoy a career with ScotRail. If you’ve got potential, we’ll help you fulfil it. We’ve got training and development programmes in place to really help you make the most of your talent!
Joining teams throughout Scotland you will be selling food and drink to customers and making their experience of travelling with Scotrail one to remember.
Our teams are made up of customer-first people with a real passion for outstanding service, creating amazing experiences’, and lasting memories for our customers. As a committed and dedicated member of the team, you’ll play a key role in delivery a quality service.
Training: Full training is given to new entrants
- Operate the Hospitality Service on ScotRail services.
- Promote monthly deals and upsell products to customers.
- Helping with customers’ questions on train and at stations.
- Accountable for stock and sales.
- Managing cash and card transactions.
- Responsible for the cleanliness of catering equipment and clearing of litter.
- Adhere to the food hygiene regulations and all Health & Safety requirements.
- You will operate a trolley weighing a maximum of 60/55 kg and portable ramps weighing up to15kg
You’ll have a passion for putting the customer first and creating memorable customer experiences.
A positive attitude is desirable with a natural ability for striking up a conversation with a diverse range of customers.
An ability to get to and from the above location without relying on the rail service due to some early shift starts of approx. 08:00 hours and back shift finish times of approx. 22:00 hours, dependant on location. (Shifts are reviewed twice a year and any changes will be advised)
We recognise everyone has a unique set of skills and abilities and we thought we would let you know some of the skills that could be useful in this job.
- Communication; both written and verbal
- Numeracy and basic IT Skills
- Ability to follow procedures and to work safely
- Ability to work as part of a team or with minimum supervision
- Willingness to attend training and take responsibility, with support for professional development
- Cash handling and card payment experience
- Previous retail, hospitality, or other relevant experience
- You will have relevant skills, qualifications and/or experience at SCQF Level 5 (Many of you might know what the SCQF Framework is but if you don’t, we have included a link to the framework to allow you to find out what level you are working at - https://scqf.org.uk/about-the-framework/interactive-framework
Hours of work: 36 hours per week. Reference Salary: £21,856 per annum plus 3% commission.
With more than 5,000 employees, we are looking for people who are focussed on our customers, and to continue delivering the best possible service for people throughout the country.
Twice accredited as a Top Employer and having achieved Investors in Diversity, we value our people and aim to inspire, attract, and keep the best talent and provide our people with a safe place to truly thrive at work.
We are dedicated in helping to close the diversity gap across the rail industry and would love to see more young people, women, people from ethnically diverse backgrounds, LGBT+ employees and disabled people. Supporting diversity and inclusion is a big part of who we are, we are not looking for people to fit into our culture but add to it.
At ScotRail, we proactively embrace diversity across our workforce. To build a more sustainable future, we need the best team- a team with a diverse mix of people and skills, where everyone feels valued and heard and able to thrive. We recognise that we are under-represented in terms of women, young people, disabled people and people from ethnically diverse backgrounds. We’re therefore taking positive steps to promote a positive and inclusive culture; we welcome applications from those that identify with these groups to better represent the communities we serve.
We’ll ensure you’re rewarded for your contribution with a competitive package that includes:
- Contributory Final Salary Pension scheme
- Free and reduced rate rail travel for you and your family, where applicable.
- Generous holiday allowance
- Hapi benefits package, offered to everyone at ScotRail
The selection process:
- Submit your application – be sure to spend enough time on it, thinking about what makes you the perfect fit for this role. Think about your personal qualities, and skills.
- If you’re short listed, we may send you an email inviting you to complete some online tests.
- The next stage will be an interview with the hiring manager.
- The final stage for successful candidates will be a medical questionnaire and Disclosure Scotland. You must submit at least two satisfactory references, Disclosure Scotland clearance and complete a six-month probation period. At this point you’ll be welcomed on board.