Location: Wednesbury, West Midlands
Position: Full Time, Permanent
West Midlands Metro is the name for the region’s popular and growing tram network, operated by Midland Metro Limited. Midland Metro Ltd is owned by the West Midlands Combined Authority. It is an inspiring time for Midland Metro Ltd as the Combined Authority delivers a £1.3 billion investment plan set to significantly expand the tram network, bringing even greater connectivity to people, places and business.
We now have an opportunity for a Network Engineer to manage the tram and tram stop passenger communications systems and associated networks for the current and future West Midlands Metro tram fleets and infrastructure and ensure the smooth transition from construction into maintenance of new and changed West Midlands Metro communications systems.
Key responsibilities include:
- Monitor and report on the performance of systems
- Act as point of contact for systems’ performance issues
- Identify diagnose and fix system faults, liaising with third party maintenance contractors
- Support maintenance team with fault diagnosis and correction, document standard fault finding and resolution steps
- Ensure system changes are managed through the change control process
- Act as Technical Customer and point of contact for updates to existing systems and for new systems and support their introduction into service, including testing and commissioning
- Work with suppliers and stakeholders to maintain and improve the performance of the systems
- Systems support includes:
- Infrastructure control and communications systems
- Tram and at stop passenger communications systems
- Fibre communications backbone
- Tram multimedia projects and associated tram automated functions
- Automatic Passenger Counting (APC) system
- Onboard Tram network
What you’ll need:
- Knowledge of network systems and protocols
- Experience of configuration of network hardware
- Fault finding and repair on electrical/electronic/communication systems
- Management of fibre communication systems
- Experience in basic UNIX, DOS and Windows commands
- Use of Microsoft Office to create and manage records
- To have GCSE Maths and English at Grade C or above
- To hold a higher education qualification in an ICT/ Electrical / Electronic discipline
- Experience in a technical leadership role
- Ability to directly manage contractors
What we offer in return?
- Competitive Salary
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Free travel on West Midlands trams and buses for you and your partner
- Contributory Pension Scheme.
- Life Insurance Benefit
- Employee Assistance Program 24/7 365 days
- Discounted Gym membership.
- Full On the Job Training