We are seeking a Maintenance Mechanical Technician to join our team at the Gosforth Depot, reporting to the Fleet Duty Manager. This is a fixed-term contract that extends until 31st December 2024. The successful candidate will work on a roster that offers 24-hour, 7-day coverage, including Bank Holidays and weekends. The primary work location will be at the Gosforth Depot, with occasional requirements to travel on the Metro system in emergency situations to facilitate the recovery/repair of Metrocars. This position is safety-critical, and all safety-critical work protocols must be strictly followed.
Your duties will include:
- Carrying out preventative maintenance programmes on a variety of rolling stock and Depot infrastructure repairs/maintenance. Programmes include duty checks, inspections according to examination sheets, component changes and overhaul of various rolling stock parts - where trained assessed and deemed competent
- Adopting a flexible approach to work practises and a ‘Competence based skills’ i.e. do what trained, assessed and deemed competent to do to provide full flexibility based upon competence and skills provided.
- Investigating faults on mechanical, pneumatic and other components as required / instructed in line with core discipline.
- Refurbishment and modification of rolling stock including the replacement and upgrading of components and systems.
- Complying with all relevant safety rules, Work instructions, Safe Systems of Works and Fleet Duty Managers/Team Leaders/Engineers instructions.
- Responding to in service breakdowns and also take part in a ‘first response situation’ should emergencies in service arise.
- Safely train Apprentices and other staff members on the full range of their duties as required/instructed.
- Assisting in the preparation of Safe Systems of Work, Rule Changes, Risk Assessments and carry out Safety Management checks as required.
- Assisting non-Engineering Group staff in duties carried out on rolling stock or in Gosforth Depot.
- Compiling accurate examination sheets, modification records, and other relevant documentation - utilising appropriate IT systems or relevant paper based documents.
- Carrying out component overhauls as instructed when trained and deemed competent to do so.
- Carrying out any duties trained and deemed competent to perform e.g. drive Metro cars/Locos and Fork Lift trucks when needed, as part of duties.
- Participating in integrated teams when performing electro-mechanical equipment changes on Metro cars, involving multi-skilling.
- Other duties e.g. slinging and movement of equipment as required.
- Contributing to Depot upkeep and take responsibility for cleanliness and environmental obligations on the Depot.
- Participating in any Service Quality Regime work that may be required.
- Carrying out any tasks as shown in the agreed Skills Matrix where the Technician is trained and deemed competent.
What do we require of you?
- Recognised Mechanical Apprenticeship
- Able to carry out routine planned and preventative maintenance
- Able to carry out fault investigation
- Able to overhaul mechanical equipment
- Positive and flexible approach to work completion
- Communicate effectively
- Work productively as part of a team
- Able to read technical drawings
- Able to meet the demands of shift working
- Knowledge of Health & Safety
- Meet the required medical standard
- Experience of working in a safety critical environment
- Experience of working in an engineering workshop
- Flexible approach to overtime working
- BTEC, ONC Mechanical Engineering or City & Guilds qualification or equivalent
- Experience of working as part of a multi skilled team