Mechanical Engineering Degree Apprentice
What is the purpose of a Mechanical Engineering Degree Apprentice here at NTS?
- To excel in your apprenticeship academic course studies and review how these relate to the work environment you will be part of.
- To support delivery of specific engineering design and/or project tasks, working under supervision and guidance of Professional Engineers.
- To integrate your college studies and the presented work opportunities to develop into a suitably qualified and experience engineer, who is both academically and behaviourally ready for their next development stage e.g. a Graduate Mechanical Engineer.
- Support to the delivery of engineering design activities
- Support wider Technical delivery requirements, as per business need
- Understand and work within NTS management processes and systems
- Understand the inter-relationships between NTS Solutions/Technical teams, the wider business and external clients
- Support to NTS STEM objectives with other team members to promote NTS and Engineering as a profession
- Exhibit the following guiding culture principles:
- Freedom – support an environment where our people have the freedom to perform
- Helpfulness – will work together to help each other and our customers
- Drive – be confident, curious, and innovative
Things I should consider?
You should have a passion for a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths) based subject and a desire to pursue a career within the field. Following successful completion of your Level 5 Apprenticeship you will have the opportunity to complete a Level 6 apprenticeship with an integrated Degree tailored to your chosen pathway.
Throughout your chosen scheme, you will get to work on exciting projects and deliver complex pieces of work whilst becoming an integral part of a community of enthusiastic, talented individuals, who will go on to shape the future of NTS.
As an integral part of your apprenticeship your progress will be monitored and assessed against government standard requirements. You will compile an evidence folder, demonstrating your areas of learning with accredited certificates of completion for elements of your training. Within the last six months of your apprenticeship you will undertake an assessment by an independently appointed organisation, where you will be expected to clearly demonstrate your capability to perform in your chosen career.
Where will my training be delivered?
Year 1 – All Apprentices will commence full time academic and engineering studies at one of our local training providers.
Years 2-5 – All Apprentices will be office based but will continue academic studies at one of our local training providers. Work placements will be based at Hinton House, Warrington.
What qualifications will I obtain?
The Degree Apprentice Programme consists of 2 phases;
- Level 5 ST0380 Nuclear Technician Apprenticeship
- Level 5 Foundation Degree/ Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering or Science aligned to your chosen pathway
For candidates with the potential to progress further:
- Level 6 ST0289 Nuclear Scientist and Nuclear Engineer Apprenticeship
- Level 6 Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (BEng) or Science (BSc) aligned to your chosen pathway, over a further 2-year period.
*Specific qualifications are subject to change and replaced with an equivalent.
What are the entry requirements?
- Minimum of 5 GCSEs at Grades 9 to 4 (Grades A* to C) including Mathematics, English Language and one Science or Engineering subject.
- Minimum of 96 UCAS points at A-Level / T-Level, STEM subjects preferred (e.g. Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Science) but not mandatory.
- Other Level 3 STEM qualifications may be considered.
- Vocational equivalents at level 3 or higher will also be considered as equivalent to UCAS points.
- If you do not have Mathematics at A Level then you must achieve a minimum of Grade 6 (Grade B) at GCSE.
- Functional Skills Level 2 will also be considered as equivalent to GCSE Grade 4 (Grade C). Other equivalent qualifications may be considered.
- Candidates will be required to achieve appropriate security and medical clearances; these will be instigated on receiving a conditional offer of employment.
What are the benefits of working at NTS?
- Attractive salary
- Fantastic pension scheme
- Training and development
- Generous leave entitlements
- Flexible working
- Healthcare scheme
We encourage applications from a diverse range of candidates
We are proud of the commitment we make to diversity and inclusion and of the progress we have made. We have active & vibrant staff networks, special leave policies and workplace adjustments put in place for those who need them. We are continuing to build a diverse organisation, in an inclusive environment which nurtures and realises potential in all, at all levels.
Diversity and inclusion is our top priority, and we embrace uniqueness. We strongly encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and experiences. We are a welcoming and inclusive workplace where our people are able to bring their whole selves to work.