Base salary: £39,250pa to c.£49,100pa depending on skills and experience. In addition, we offer a flexible benefits fund of 15% which is paid on top of base salary and is fully pensionable, as well as a range of competitive benefits - check them out in the Benefits section on our website.
Interviews to take place on 6th April.
HS2 Ltd endeavours to ensure everyone working for us and with us feels included, thrives and achieves their full potential. In practice, this means we are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging our staff networks to flourish and providing personal and professional development opportunities.
Supporting the Senior Manager - Digital Media and Content, this role is responsible for developing and delivering external facing digital communications to build and protect the reputation of HS2 working alongside teams across the business, most notably the press office and front-facing engagement teams. To support and manage the delivery of digital content and its creation from across the directorate and supply chain for all of HS2’s digital channels and website(s).
About the role:
- Working within the Digital Media and Content team, support the development and delivery of the digital communications strategy with targeting, insight driven social media and metrics.
- Support the creation of digital channel plans, including content, narrative, tone and personality for each of the digital media channels – HS2 websites, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, email engagement tools and other channels as required.
- Ensure HS2 Websites and Channels are regularly updated, including press releases, external facing image library and local content channels.
- Provide advice and support to senior members of HS2 and their contractors regarding digital communication and engagement with external audiences as required, ensuring information is communicated in plain English and meets accessibility requirements.
- Provide advice on search engine optimisation, pay-per-click and social media advertising, and managing paid-for search.
- Delivery of the online user experience and build, development and launch of all public facing HS2 websites, microsites, web pages and mobile applications.
- Commission and create digital content (including images and video) throughout the Communications & Stakeholder Engagement directorate, as well as from the IPTs and supply chain, for use in promoting campaigns, local engagement and media outputs that will inform communities and enhance the reputation of HS2.
- Work closely with colleagues in the HS2 Press Office ensuring external press releases and messaging is shared and amplified on appropriate channels to reach key audiences / communities.
- Working with colleagues in creative services and the supply chain, ensure that all external facing digital engagement tools are appropriately branded or cobranded and commission updated templates as and when required.
- Support the Digital Media and Content team in monitoring risks and opportunities across social media and developing response actions, with the Press Office.
- Define and implement new and innovative ways to present HS2’s digital content, proposing and experimenting with ways to develop content in line with changing digital trends and audience preferences.
- Participate in ad-hoc, out of hours and on-call response to reputational risks and other work as required and take part in mandatory training for incident management.
- Support the researching, development and implementation for any digital, social media or online communications applications required by the Communications and Stakeholder Engagement directorate.
- Adherence to HS2 processes in: management of suppliers, consistency of approach for all Phases and teams, defining and evaluating performance against defined KPIs and ongoing agency management
- Manage joint online publishing activity on GOV.UK/HS2 with Department for Transport, Government Digital Service and Parliament on multiple websites as well as archiving of HS2 sites with The National Archives.
- Work closely with the Helpdesk and public response team, providing regular updates and face-to-face briefings on sensitive issues.
- You will be expected to actively promote and embed Equality Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work, and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI
- Carry out any other duties as required.
- Adhere to HS2 Ltd’s Health and Safety policies.
- Inclusive Digital, social media and web publishing skills: ability to lead, and manage targeted paid social campaigns, Search Engine Optimisation, optimize landing pages and user funnels
- Ability to grasp, understand and promote complex and sensitive issues in a persuasive way to different audiences on different channels
- Communication skills: the ability to create and commission engaging digital content for use across a range of channels
- Ability to manage challenging relationships and build trust amongst stakeholders and communities exercising diplomacy at every stage
- Analytical skills and an ability to interpret and respond to changing landscapes and understand and communicate complex issues with clarity and consistency
- Influencing and listening skills
- Understanding of the role of digital and social media in high-profile communications.
- Understanding of contemporary political climate with awareness of the wider current affairs context
- Understanding of latest web-development “best practices”, including website accessibility, cross-browser and cross-platform compatibility, and search engine optimisation (SEO)
- Knowledge of website analytic tools (e.g. Google Analytics, Matomo)
- Planning and financial skills, with the ability to deliver projects and activities on time and within budget.
Type of experience:
- Experience of working within an engagement or communications leadership role, devising a strategy, and managing the delivery of communication and engagement activities and tools in the public and private sectors, on projects of comparable scale, scope and complexity.
- Experience of implementing innovative and interactive solutions in audience engagement or digital communications and response across a diverse and challenging environment
- Experience of managing / delivering inclusive digital communications in complex projects and/or matrix organisations to wide and diverse audiences.
- Experience with content management systems (WordPress) and integrating CMS with independent software products.
- Experience with audio and video editing software – ability to produce, direct and commission high-quality, engaging and accessible video content using Adobe Premiere Pro or equivalent software packages.
- Experience in managing internal teams and/or external agencies as part of an in-house client team to deliver multiple overlapping activities in a fast-paced environment
- Experience of providing counsel at a senior leadership level across an organisation on community engagement
- Experienced in developing and supporting working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
- Experience working across multi-disciplinary communications teams including marketing, corporate affairs, branding, PR, media relations and corporate communications is advantageous
The post-holder is expected to behave at all times in a manner consistent with the HS2 values of Safety, Leadership, Integrity and Respect
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
We ask for a variety of detail in your online application, however we perform the first assessment of suitability for a role based solely on the information in your CV. Please attach an updated word version of your CV for each new application and include evidence directly related to the criteria in the job advert. Any applications received after the closing date will not be considered.