Junior Project Manager (R&D)
Contemporary railways require revolutionised signalling technology to keep up with ever increasing capacity and headway demands.
A Junior Project Manager (JPM) is required to join the R&D Department to drive forward the development of ground-breaking Automatic Train Control, Interlocking and Control systems aimed at the next generation of UK-based safety-critical and safety-related railway signalling systems.
The JPM will be expected to help lead varied teams of application, system, hardware and software engineers in a dynamic safety-critical and safety-related development environment. The focus of the role will be on enabling the effective coordination of activities leading to the successful delivery of projects on time and to budget.
The JPM will liaise closely with other key roles in the organisation (e.g. project and programme managers, technical authorities, product line managers, etc.) to assist in ensuring the project meets the needs of the business.
• Responsible for execution, delivery and reporting of technical projects according to company process.
• Collaborate with all disciplines to define and manage project schedule, budget, risks, and features.
• Identify opportunities and perform resource allocation management for multiple concurrent projects.
• Collaborate with line management to facilitate building effective project teams.
• Ensure project work items are appropriately captured, controlled and archived.
• Perform active role in managing client relationship to ensure customer satisfaction.
• Identify resource needs and provide justification to acquire those resources.
• Troubleshoot and resolve project related and inter-personal problems.
• Consistently use excellent communication skills towards team members and management with strong awareness of cultural differences.
Key Skills and Qualifications
• Degree in related technical field or discipline
• 1-3 years project management experience.
• Experience with MS Project
• Good communication and presentation skills
• Demonstrates understanding and application of supervisory approaches for work direction, motivation, performance management, and disciplinary action.
• Professional accreditation
• Experience of working in both Classical and Agile development environments desirable
• Experience of safety systems development desirable