Ford & Stanley Executive Search - Specialists in Executive Interim and Permanent appointments to the UK Rail Industry have been appointed on the retained search to secure a Head of Engineering (Electronics) for our up-and-coming SME client - Grinsty Rail.
Client Opportunity Statement:
Ideas! We want our new Head of Engineering to NOT look inside the box, not yet at least! We want to encourage innovation, blue sky thinking and entrepreneurial spirit
New product development (NPD) underpins the future strategy and will be pivotal to our long-term ambitions, in addition to enhancing our current capabilities
NPD, Diversification, Innovation, Growth and Engagement (Internal & External) is our immediate future...
"As the new MD/FD into the business we have big plans to take a rather dated, old school' business, that is set in its ways and give it a good shake up - this starts with investment in a new position of Head of Engineering but certainly doesn't stop there
- Candidates can be up and coming Engineering Managers / Senior Engineers / Principal Engineers OR experienced Heads of - we will explore both options.
- Rail Industry background ideal however transferable heavy / high integrity industries will also be considered.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels (Technical Teams, Projects, Clients, Stakeholders, Shop floor etc)
- Electronics/Engineering knowledge with a sound technical understanding of HND/HNC OR QBE.
- New product development experience, with proven experience of this.
- Strategic and commercial individual that can bring both ideas and solutions together / thinking outside the box.
- Ability to work to a high degree of autonomy and lead the business forward shoulder to shoulder with the MD.
Good to know
- Business has 39 employees, a turnover of 2.9m which is up 10% on the previous year and the business has a 10m target in 5 years driven through NPD, new sales and diversification
- Huge market penetration to be explored for Grinsty Rail and their 5-year plan; this individual needs a strong strategic savvy to ensure delivery of this
- The biggest challenge in the role is engaging the people - the business is a little dated, set in its ways and rather old school - needs a good shake up
- Flexible working with a minimum of 3-4 days a week based in the Redditch HQ and 1-2 days a week from home if so desired
- Talent acquisition campaign is being driven exclusively and via a retained agreement by Ford & Stanley Executive Search for all direct and indirect candidates.
- Early 12:30 finish on Fridays. 08:00 to 16:45 Monday to Thursday
- Interviews with Ford & Stanley Executive Search are being conducted throughout the months of April and May with a final shortlist of 5 options presented on the 11th May along with search directors notes and recommendations.
1 st Stage informal face to face with MD/FD, likely to be relaxed sofa' discussion (4 candidates). Final Stage interview (2 candidates) candidates will need to provide a presentation on a topic given by MD/FD. It will be formal in the boardroom' with MD/FD and Chairman. Verbal offer made within 24 hours of final stage interviews by F&S Executive Search.
- Low 65k, Mid 70k, High 75k
- Profit Share Scheme
- 25 days holiday + 8 stat
- Pension 3% & 5% - 8% in total
- Private Healthcare (+Spouse)
- Car allowance (Est 8k value) or Car (Hybrid)
- Annual salary reviews ad hoc
- Sick Pay
- Flexible working with early 12:30pm Friday finishes
Search Director Executive Summary:
I received a copy of the end of financial year Chairman's address to all employees within Grinsty Rail, an impressive communication that sets the expectation of a new era for the business as it looks to bring about positive change and investment.
An SME Rail organisation that has set its strategy and ambition and is clearly taking it seriously by investing in a specialist Rail Executive Search Consultancy to secure the cream of the crop' from a busy and noisy rail market for several new leadership hires - yes there will be more than 1 new addition to the leadership team - the first appointment and focus being that of Head of Engineering.
My impression from meeting with the Grinsty leadership team was that they are energic, humorous and self-aware of where they are at verses where they want to be. This role would suit a commercially savvy engineer with 360 experience of NPD, NPI, Strategy, Commercial, Project Delivery, Leadership & Management, Client Facing and of course technical knowledge of Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
About Ford & Stanley Executive Search - Specialist Head-hunters to the UK & European Rail Industries.
At Ford & Stanley Executive Search we are select in the opportunities we represent. We work under strict exclusivity or retained agreements with forward thinking and proactive Rail companies that place their trust in our ability to deliver a winning shortlist at the first time of asking. Our Search Directors (who are themselves board members and as such, understand the intricacies of business management) invest time at the front end of process with our client's hiring manager to consult, understand the opportunity inherent within the role, map and agree timescales with supporting delivery plan well in advance of conducting the search. All candidates both active and passive (head-hunted) can expect full and professional engagement from the Executive Search team in addition a timely, thorough and engaging recruitment process from a committed employer that seeks to secure cream of the crop' from a busy and noisy UK Rail candidate market.