Opportunity Brief: Head of Business Development – Park Signalling
Ford & Stanley Executive Search (Part of the Ford & Stanley Group) are specialists in Executive Interim and Permanent appointments to the UK, European & North American Rail, General Manufacturing & Transportation & Digital Industries.
We have been exclusively entrusted and appointed by the MD and HR Team of Park Signalling on a retained search for a Head of Business Development. A highly profitable, SME Rail Technology business – Park Signalling, based in Southport.
Below you will find an ‘opportunity brief’ developed from notes taken during the scoping meeting (Situational Discovery) held between the F&S’s Business Manager, Senior Research Associate and Park Signalling’s Managing Director. This brief is designed to give candidates a deeper insight into the opportunity inherited within the role, the challenges the role presents and provide access to the detail that sits behind the job specification.
Client Opportunity Statement:
“As part of the ongoing development of Park Signalling as it continues to grow, we are looking to bring our sales capability ‘in house’ to gain control of our processes and growth strategy.”
“Earlier on this year, I joined as the Managing Director designate to continue the excellent work on the foundation of the business and take control of the strategy and growth trajectory of Park Signalling – in which the new head of business development will play a pivotal role”
“We have an established presence and order book for the UK market which of course will be developed further by the new incumbent however there is untapped opportunity for us to capitalise / penetrate the North American, Canadian and Australian markets. The right candidate will have ambition and appetite to take us onto an international stage”.
Main Challenges the role presents:
- Park signalling offer a complex and diverse range of products. The incoming Head of Business Development will be tasked with getting quickly up to speed on the portfolio / range.
- Park Signalling is considered as ‘jewel in the crown’ of UTG as such gains a lot of interest from the board which comes with it additional pressure and higher level of expectation.
- Park Signalling sits as part of a group (Unipart Technologies Group). The expectations is that the Head of Business Development will focus on Park Signalling whilst warm upselling / cross selling of other UTG business products and services.
Top three deliverables in 1st year:
- Deliver £4m - £5m worth of sales for Park Signalling. (which sounds a lot yet is said with consideration as a realistic, tough yet and achievable target)
- Become well integrated in the team and build strong relationships across the business and group.
- Develop a strong understanding of the products and services that Park Signalling and other UTG businesses offer.
Candidate Essentials: Hard Skills
- Thorough understanding of the rail market, specifically infrastructure and signalling – complete with a network / ‘black book’ of connections and contacts within this sector.
- Proven track record of successfully selling similar products and driving business growth.
- Candidate will have a technical background or strong technical understanding with the ability to articulate functionality of products.
- Exposure to selling internationally (desirable locations include Australia, North America and Egypt).
Candidate Essentials: Soft Skills
- Capable of working as part of a team as well as independently. Acting as a ‘lone wolf’ in certain circumstances.
- Genuine team player, able to continue to build upon the culture changes within Park Signalling & ‘buy into’ the Unipart way.
- Keen to contribute to the ‘vision’ for Park Signalling, working closely with the management team to add value.
- Driven to be ‘face to face’ with clients & colleagues
- Leadership – able to engage, encourage and inspire around change, taking the team on a journey.
- Strong closer of opportunity
Good to know:
- Park Signalling are a highly profitable subsidiary of Unipart Technologies Group that has most recently turned over £5.2 million and aims to achieve a turnover of £9.8 million or above next year with a current headcount of 58. Park signalling are a stand-alone Division part of the successful Unipart Group Often required to work across Unipart Rail and other Divisions within Unipart.
- Park Signalling have an extensive product suite. Utilising their knowledge and capability to expand into offering further solutions and new markets.
- Currently, their product suite is almost entirely obsolescence technology, offering clients a cost effective solution to required upgrades. As it stands, the MD is responsible for the diversification of product suite and strategy to go with it.
- This role will report directly into the MD giving the incoming Head of Business Development a direct line into the strategy of the business along with a team of 3 that will report into the role, all at a senior BDM ‘level’.
- The business is forecasted to double, if not treble in size over the coming years.
- There are a number of notable contracts that have been secured within the UK and also a number of leads identified in the US.
- Park Signalling aims to expand business within North America, Canada, Australia, India and Egyptian rail sectors.
- Two RETB projects are upcoming in the UK, TCA projects in the USA and a major project that may potentially land in Egypt.
- Due to a well-established black book in the UK, candidates with experience in the target international markets will be able to add value quickly.
- The candidate needs to be a collaborative team player who looks out for the interests of the business and their team first rather than prioritising their personal success first.
- Park Signalling pride themselves for a friendly collaborative culture, however part of the task will involve infusing the function with energy and enthusiasm, maintaining and building up an engaged and motivated team.
- This executive search has been exclusively retained with Ford and Stanley Executive Search.
About Park Signalling:
Park Signalling was formed in 2000 by key staff from Alstom Signalling, since then we have evolved into an industry-renowned highly motivated team of specialists, who together offer unrivalled signalling system knowledge complemented with in-house hardware and software design and build expertise.
Our team brings together a range of skills and know-how, which has served customers around the world. First we listen to develop an understanding of customers’ technical and commercial needs, and then we deliver cost-effective, innovative solutions.
We have a core staff of predominantly experienced engineers, who are specialists in their field. This is supplemented by part-time, often industry recognised expert associates that either provide additional resource and/or specialism, who contribute as dictated by workload requirements.
Park Signalling provides services, products and systems to heavy and light rail customers in the UK and worldwide.
Our team has extensive experience within both heavy and light rail industries. We have developed a wide range of signalling products and solutions which have become the industry standard for monitoring and fault finding for signalling assets.
All our solutions have been designed to meet the needs of our customers, every time. We are committed to offering world-class innovation in consultancy, product design and delivery, complemented by outstanding levels of service.
Our diverse range of capabilities includes:
- Product Design and Innovation Excellence
- Innovative Technology
- Proven Reliability and Quality
- Outstanding Performance
- Agile and Flexible Service
- Environmental Commitment
- Global Solutions Provider
- Life Extension of Obsolete Equipment
- Reverse Engineering of Complex Systems and Products
- Low £70,000/ Mid £75,000/ Top end £80,000.
- Car Allowance (£6,500 per annum)
- Pension (5% + 3%)
- Life Assurance
- Family Private Healthcare
- 25 days Holiday + 8 Statutory
- Sick Pay
- Annual & Ad hoc Salary Reviews
- Significant Bonus to be agreed upon in interview (Personalised to you).
The role will be largely on site with clients, with minimal need to work from home or on site in Stockport.
Likely Job Titles:
Sales Manager, Senior Sales Manager, Head of Sales, Business Development Manager, Head of Business Development, Business Development Director, Sales Director
Executive Search Delivery Team:
- Emma Barlow – Senior Research Associate
- Tom Norton – Business Manager
- Ralitsa Kuzeva – Executive Research Associate
About Ford & Stanley Executive Search:
At Ford & Stanley Executive Search we go beyond a recruiting transaction with our core mission being that of every interaction we have with clients and candidates is best in class. We are select in the opportunities we represent, as such, work under strict exclusivity or retained agreements with forward thinking and proactive Rail companies that place their trust in our ability to deliver a winning shortlist at the first time of asking.
Our Search Directors / Search Consultants and in-house research team invest time at the front end of process with our client’s leadership team or stakeholders to consult, understand the opportunity inherent within the role, business need, map and agree timescales with supporting delivery plan well in advance of conducting the search.
All candidates both active and passive (head-hunted) can expect full and professional engagement from the Executive Search team in addition a timely, thorough and engaging recruitment process from a committed employer that seeks to secure ‘cream of the crop’ from a busy and noisy Global Rail candidate market.
Ford & Stanley Group Ltd is committed to a policy of equal opportunities for all opportunity seekers and approach all opportunity with a mindset of who is right for the job irrespective sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status, age, disability, colour, race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief or political beliefs and we place an obligation upon all staff to respect and act in accordance with the policy. We shall adhere to such a policy at all times and will review on an on-going basis all aspects of recruitment to avoid unlawful or undesirable discrimination.