Your New Role
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Permanent Earthworks Examiner to join our CEFA - Rail Account in Scotland - Aberdeen, Inverness, Edinburgh and Ayrshire. Any other locations across mainland Scotland are also welcomed.
You will be required to undertake cyclical earthwork examinations (soil / rock / tunnel portal) on the railway infrastructure across Scotland. A walkover of the slope will be initiated to produce a report, to assess the potential for slope failure and identify any defects.
Earthworks Examiner plays an important part in performing all work within the CEFA contract, maximising efficiency, effectiveness, and new technology to ensure compliance with all relevant standards. All duties must be delivered safely and in accordance with the requirements of the client.
The standard hours of work are 37.5 per week.
You will be responsible for:
- Make preparations for undertaking earthworks examinations in line with Network Rail standards.
- Carry out earthworks examinations in line with Network Rail standards.
- Prepare, compile, sign and submit a report for each earthworks examination to the Earthworks Examining Engineer or Earthworks Manager, using handheld technology.
- Immediately notify the Earthworks Examining Engineer and/or the Earthworks Manager of defects which give rise to a concern about safety.
- Submitting to the Earthworks Manager via the Earthworks Examining Engineer - Urgent Defect Report where defects which give rise to a concern about safety have been found and/or where urgent action has been taken or is required to maintain safety.
- Support the planning of the examination workbank to manage risk and compliance in accordance with Network Rail Standards.
What makes this role unique is examining the slopes across Scotland's railway network, looking for potential defects within the slopes to ensure the trains are kept safe, and enjoying the hidden scenery of Scotland.
We want to hear from you if you have
- HNC, HND or degree in relevant technical discipline
- IT Literate with minimum word processing and drawing application
- Full driving licence
Specific Safety Responsibilities:
- A good knowledge of Health and Safety and environmental issues and knowledge of current legislation
- Responsible for reporting Close Calls to ensure continuous improvement and the prevention of unnecessary accidents
- Act in a manner that protects the health, welfare, and safety of yourself and others
What we offer you
When you join us, we can offer flexibility, career development, a choice of benefits and support that help you through all life's ups and downs. It's the reason why Investors in People put us among the top 1% of employers and we have a competitive reward and benefits program
- Career Development - Exceptional development and progression plan
- Pension - Generous Pension scheme which we will contribute to
- Holidays - Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Choices - Our flexible benefits scheme is tailored by you, including buying additional annual leave, cycle2work scheme, charity giving and gym membership
- Save with Amey - Our online voucher portal gives you access to thousands of discounts from leading retailers to help you save on shopping, days out, or nights in. It includes healthcare, free GP service, dental vouchers
- Social Value - You'll get 2 Community Involvement Days each year to volunteer for a charity of your choice and further opportunities to support fundraising initiatives
We embrace difference and support individuals to work in ways that work best for them.
We are committed to working sustainably and by working in partnership with the communities we serve, so people and the planet are protected.
At Amey, you have freedom to perform because we know if nothing holds you back, together, we can be extraordinary.
Who is Amey?
- We are at the heart of modern Britain, helping the economy to grow by designing, maintaining and transforming the nation's strategic assets.
- Our 11,000 people are behind the critical services the country relies on every day.
- Our unique engineering and operations experience, together with data driven insight from our consulting business, delivers better results for our clients.
- We are trusted partners of Government - both national and local - managing assets and complex projects that are vital to the sustainable growth of the country.
To find out more take a look at our website www.amey.co.uk
Amey is committed to Inclusion and Diversity. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates, regardless of their race, gender, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Please contact our recruitment team at to discuss any access needs and reasonable adjustments that may be required at any point during the recruitment process.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy before the closing date should we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.
Apply today - We are excited to hear from you!