At Alstom, we understand transport networks and what moves people. From high-speed trains, metros, monorails, and trams, to turnkey systems, services, infrastructure, signalling and digital mobility, we offer our diverse customers the broadest portfolio in the industry. Every day, 80,000 colleagues lead the way to greener and smarter mobility worldwide, connecting cities as we reduce carbon and replace cars.
Employing 6,000 people within the UK & Ireland, we are the prominent supplier of new trains and train services, and a leading signalling and rail infrastructure provider. Alstom have built, or are building, just under 40% of the UK mainline train fleet, as well as the entire fleets in service with London Underground and Dublin Luas.
Alstom is at the forefront of technological innovation and is a global leader in both rolling stock and signalling. So working at Alstom means becoming part of a great family of the best professionals in this industry. Enhance your career and join us on our journey as our Facilities Manager at either our New Cross Gate site or our Old Oak Common Traincare Centre, and make your mark with a globally renowned organisation in the rail sector.
Your future role
This is a unique opportunity that will combine and utilise all of your experience in management, facilities and technical engineering.
Reporting into the Head of Facilities Management, you’ll work alongside highly motivated professionals committed to best in class performance in managing and coordinating the facilities contract and supporting the maintenance activities for our fleets of trains - London Overground at New Cross Gate or the Elizabeth Line at Old Oak Common.
This hands-on role involves developing planned maintenance activities for plant equipment, logging and maintaining equipment warranties and addressing infrastructure and building defects; ensuring timely repairs. You will be liaising with the customer, their representatives and suppliers to Alstom; consequently having solid relevant customer-facing experience is key to this role. In addition, you must be able to provide both Mechanical and Electrical technical support to your sites and the wider Alstom Facilities.
It’s essential that you fully understand and work to current Health & Safety requirements, ensuring the safety of all staff. Together with adhering to our environmental standards and polices, and fostering our values of agility, inclusivity and responsibility.
Other aspects of the role include:
- You’ll take accountability for contractors and management of all staff responsible for the maintenance activities.
- Advise on environmental controls and applicable legislation.
- Responsibilities for the front-line response to plant, equipment, building and services defects.
- Managing all Project Planned Preventative Maintenance ensuring all Plant and Equipment is maintained to a high standard through a scheduled plan.
- Ensuring the project plant and equipment is repaired as necessary in a safe, efficient manner and made available to Operations in meeting the needs of the Customer.
- Ensuring all work, for which you are responsible, is performed in a safe and effective manner in accordance with the Health & Safety at Work Act (1974), Rules and Regulations, Railway Group Standards, TOC Safety Case and ALSTOM Policies and Procedures.
- Managing the interface with subordinates and equipment suppliers to ensure fast and effective repairs are carried out at projects locations.
- To manage and implement the safe control of Contractors on site ensuring that both legislative requirements and the company directive of Zero LTA’s (Loss Time Accidents) are met.
- Successful record keeping of Facilities databases in support of the maintenance facilities; to record anniversary dates for the test and calibration of equipment in line with statutory regulations.
- Implementing and coordinating measures to optimise energy in order to achieve environmental targets.
- To manage, control and implement cost effective disposal of waste removal from site in line with ISO 14001 environmental directives and legislation working toward Zero waste to landfill.
- To manage all soft-service activities to include security, depot cleaning and kitchen facilities, or support where these services are managed by site landlord.
- Negotiate and manage large-scale depot projects for delivery of business needs. Provide interfacing role to external customers for depot upgrades.
- To carry out Quality, Safety and Communication briefings as required.
- To ensure subordinates carry out Risk Assessments in your areas of responsibility, ensuring all necessary control measures are implemented and adhered to.
- To Chair weekly facilities meeting to update key stakeholders on open issues and ongoing projects.
All about you
We value passion and attitude over experience. That’s why we don’t expect you to have every single skill. Instead, we’ve listed some that we think will help you succeed and grow in this role:
- HNC or equivalent in Engineering or Building Services OR relevant equivalent experience
- A background in Facilities Management
- Expertise in Construction Design Management (CDM) and Health & Safety regulations
- Project Management experience, including budget management and supplier management
- Stakeholder Management experience
- Must have held previous customer-facing roles as it is crucial that you have relevant customer facing experience and can challenge appropriately
- Engineering background
- Experience of infrastructure and equipment repair management in the railway industry or similar heavy industry
- Knowledge of mechanical and electrical systems
- Fault Finding experience
Desirable Technical Knowledge / Experience
- A mechanical / electrical background from a production environment would be preferred, although not essential.
- Holding people accountable (both internally and externally)
- Staff management.
Things you’ll enjoy
Join us on a life-long transformative journey – the rail industry is here to stay, so you can grow and develop new skills and experiences throughout your career.
- Enjoy stability, challenges and a long-term career free from boring daily routines
- Collaborate with transverse teams and helpful colleagues
- Contribute to innovative projects
- Steer your career in whatever direction you choose across functions and countries
- Benefit from our investment in your development, through award-winning learning
- Benefit from a fair and dynamic reward package that recognises your performance and potential, plus comprehensive and competitive social coverage (life, medical, pension)
You don’t need to be a train enthusiast to thrive with us. We guarantee that when you step onto one of our trains with your friends or family, you’ll be proud. If you’re up for the challenge, we’d love to hear from you!