Manage the key internal and external environmental interface relationships and associated products to ensure consistency of approach and quality. Aligned to this, to own the “single source of truth” for Phase Environment. To act as a facilitator between Environment Teams helping deliver the environmental assessment work (including associated assessments) developed for the hybrid Bill for Phase Two in accordance with programme, organisational, sponsor and parliamentary requirements
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Support the Central Environment Team’s route wide environmental assessment requirements and deliverables by facilitating and supporting close working between Environment Teams (and in particular Area Teams) to ensure consistency of approach and quality.
- Support the development, management and monitoring of an integrated environmental programme that ensures timely and efficient delivery of environmental inputs and outputs across the different interface points.
- Working closely with Senior Environment Managers across Phase Two, and through ownership of the Phase Two Environment Team’s “single source of truth”, lead the co ordination of responses to general internal and external enquiries (including FOI, EIR and PQ requests) on environmental (including EIA, TA and EqIA) matters to ensure timely, consistent, robust and assured responses.
- Manage and approach to route wide technical stakeholder engagement (working closely with the Area and Stakeholder Teams) via various different forums to obtain information to inform the development of the route wide assessment and design and to ensure the stakeholder’s environmental and sustainability requirements are understood and managed so as to minimise petition risk and to support the development of a world class railway.
- Manage and co ordinate route wide environmental instructions to Counsel and Parliamentary Agents to support the development of, and response to, key strategic issues and ensure a clear and accessible audit trail.
- Support input into the route wide environmental risk register.
- Develop, manage and monitor an on going programme (aligned to key milestones) of Phase Two Environment Team lessons learnt that can feedback internally or externally as required (e.g. to inform future phases, other major infrastructure projects or Government guidance).
- Support the Phase Two Head of Environment on internal and external reporting of environmental matters.
- Ensure full audit trail of key decisions and compliant data management to enable effective petition management, efficient handling of enquiries (including FOI and EIR) and to ensure that statutory requirements are met.
- Support route wide environmental input into relevant reports and briefings to Ministers to enable robust decision making
JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in a relevant environmental/ built environmental discipline.
- Chartered membership (or working towards membership) of a relevant environmental/ built environmental organisation is desirable.
- Experience of working on environmental assessment (EIA) and design on large or complex
infrastructure/ engineering projects.
- Experience of project management within a built environmental field.
- Knowledge of EU and UK environment legislation and current best practice guidance.
- Proven ability to manage individuals and to work across multidisciplinary teams.
- Strong numeracy, written and verbal communication skills and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss environmental issues to a range of stakeholders.
- Strong IT skills and proven working ability to use Office based software, including Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, coupled with an aptitude towards learning and utilising new software in the office environment (training is provided in the use of the internal document management systems). A good understanding of GIS, SharePoint and eB is also desirable.
- Experience of preparing/ reviewing material for legal counsel.
- Experience of development strategies and rolling them out across different teams and achieving buy in from other team members.
- Experience of working under extremely tight deadlines and in a constantly changing project