Full Time permanent position, up to £70K plus competitive benefits package
Our client is a team of planning, design and construction specialists building a number of new tram extensions across the West Midlands. Formed in 2016 to transform the West Midlands by delivering the best integrated transport system for the future. We work hard to be a best practice organisation, delivering stakeholder-focused services as it plans and delivers five Metro extensions across the region for the West Midlands Combined Authority.
What will I be doing?
The role of the Engineering Manager will provide engineering leadership for the Wednesbury to Brierley Hill project. In particular you will provide efficient day-to-day management of the site-based technical/engineering/ surveying functions. This will include assessing all aspects of the multi-disciplinary engineering disciplines from the design appraisal process, through to construction and liaison with external consultants. The manager will apply engineering knowledge to all aspects of site design making necessary recommendations. On a day to day basis your duties will include:
- Implementing the engineering strategy for the project and providing technical support to the delivery managers, supporting on inter-disciplinary engineering management issues, and ensuring compliance.
- Leading on the engineering management of individual multi-disciplinary work packages across the project.
- Ensuring that staff are competent and, where necessary, licenced to undertake the level of engineering required on the project.
- Regular liaison with design teams to ensure design being provided as AFC are efficient and safe to build.
- Taking the lead on engineering management of key specialist subcontract design packages including ensuring necessary assurance and approval processes are implemented.
- Input into the contract programme to document the planned construction activities and required engineering deliverables.
- Approval of detailed construction methodologies and inspection and test plans produced by the project teams.
- Input into development of and review submissions for handover documentation.
- Assisting team members across all disciplines as required with engineering input.
- Attending site as required to liaise with site engineers and managers. Including being main point of contact for the design team Resident Engineer.
- Recruit, train and mentor staff within their area of professional excellence to meet the competency requirements identified by the technical directors.
- Monitoring and ensure continuous improvement of the performance of REs within the programme.
- Leading on innovation and promotion of best practice.
- Working with the teams across the MMA to develop and implement continuous improvement on multidisciplinary projects.
What hours will I be expected to work?
Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week.
What experience would we like you to have?
- Previous role as Contractors Responsible Engineer (CRE) and/ or Contractors Engineering Manager (CEM) construction (preferable)
- Experience managing design development process.
- Computer literate with strong skills in Microsoft Excel and - software packages such as AutoCad (or similar).
- Ability to use ‘Survey Network Adjustment Software’ and manage it’s use on site.
- Membership of professional institution (preferable)
- BSc/BEng, or MSc/MEng in Civil Engineering or another relevant subject
- Chartered or Incorporated Engineer (preferable)
Our client offers a range of benefits including:
- 26 days paid annual leave plus statutory bank holidays
- Contributory Pension
- Healthshield health cash plan
- Non contractual bonus scheme
As an equal opportunity’s employer, we do not discriminate on grounds of ethnicity, race, religious beliefs, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation.