ScotRail has played a critical role in keeping people moving during the pandemic, with services helping get key workers and others to where they need to be. There has been significant investment across the network to electrify lines, and on new and upgraded trains. This helped to deliver ScotRail’s highest ever score for customer satisfaction in the most recent National Rail Passenger Survey. With more than 5,000 employees, we are looking for people who are focussed on our customers, to continue delivering the best possible service for people throughout the country.
Twice accredited as a Top Employer and having achieved Investors in Diversity, we value our people and aim to inspire, attract, and keep the best talent and provide our people with a safe place to truly thrive at work.
We are dedicated in helping to close the diversity gap across the rail industry and would love to see more young people, women, people from ethnically diverse backgrounds, LGBT+ employees and disabled people. Supporting diversity and inclusion is a big part of who we are, we are not looking for people to fit into our culture but add to it.
At ScotRail, we proactively embrace diversity across our workforce. To build a more sustainable future, we need the best team- a team with a diverse mix of people and skills, where everyone feels valued and heard and able to thrive. We recognise that we are under-represented in terms of women, young people, disabled people and people from ethnically diverse backgrounds. We’re therefore taking positive steps to promote a positive and inclusive culture; we welcome applications from those that identify with these groups to better represent the communities we serve.
THE ROLE: Management of energy and water supplies, energy efficiency and carbon management, compliance reporting.
Lead on the development (research & development, business case development and project management) of initiatives to maximise utility efficiency and deliver carbon reductions.
Support raising awareness and education of staff regarding environmental issues relating to energy, water, and carbon reduction for the business.
- The management of utilities and renewable energy supplies to ScotRail premises, including metering, monitoring, and targeting of electricity, gas, heating oil and water consumption as well as forecasting utilities consumption for budgetary purposes
- Production of energy consumption reports and support investigations into abnormal consumption
- Management of 3rd party utility consumption
- Management of the handover of new utilities supplies from Project Managers into ScotRail’s portfolio
- Lead on the development (research & development, business case development and project management) of initiatives to maximise utility efficiency and deliver carbon reductions.
- Carry out all reasonable tasks as instructed by the Head of Sustainability
- Support the environmental team by carrying out:
- Activities to ensure compliance with environmental legislation and other ScotRail compliance obligations
- Internal audits
- Maintenance of an ISO 14001 and ISO 50001 compliant environmental and energy management system
- Coordination of presentational material relating to Environmental Management awareness
- Contribute to environmental and energy awareness and education to ScotRail staff
- Contribute to the development of the Environmental Business Plan
The post holder will have and maintain the following competencies:
- Knowledge of energy utilisation within the rail environment and emerging issues (high)
- Analytical skills relevant to environmental and energy performance (high)
- Knowledge of energy and water supply industry processes (high)
- Knowledge of environmental and energy standards, ISO 140001 and ISO5001 (high)
- Skilled at using MS Office, particularly Excel and Word (moderate)
- Associate membership of IEMA or qualifications leading to this.
- Carry out continuing professional development activities in line with the above.
- Knowledge of the business environment in which ScotRail operates
- Communication skills
The post holder will routinely interact with relevant stakeholders including:
- Members of the Environmental Team
- Members of the Safety, Health and Environment Team acting as an Environmental Steering Group
- Utility suppliers, brokers, and environmental and energy management support services
- ScotRail Managers
- ScotRail Engineering, Operations and Facilities Management and Supervisors
- ScotRail internal and external stakeholders as appropriate
- Resource Efficient Scotland
Hours of work: 35-hour week Monday – Friday. Reference Salary: £40k - £50k per annum depending on experience.
We’ll ensure you’re rewarded for your contribution with a competitive package that includes:
- Contributory Final Salary Pension scheme
- Free and reduced rate rail travel for you and your family, where applicable.
- Generous holiday allowance
- Hapi benefits package, offered to everyone at ScotRail
Selection process: Assessment and Interview may form the initial stages of the selection process. The final stage for successful candidates will be a medical questionnaire. Appointees must submit at least two satisfactory references, Disclosure Scotland clearance and complete a six-month probation period. Training initially involves attendance on our virtual Induction Training Programme.