The Demand for rail travel in Great Britain is increasing and the government is investing in railway infrastructure to match this demand.
SNC Lavalin's Atkins business is looking for talented individuals to join our Electrical Systems Practice, to help us deliver rail projects of varying scale, as well as help us to expand our services and capabilities to the wider Transportation industry.
The Power & Distribution design team works both on UK and international projects. We work with our clients to understand their requirements and produce design solutions covering feasibility studies, option selection, outline and detailed design, and construction support.
We are currently recruiting for a Distribution Engineer to become a key member of the team and have a high level of competency to deliver distribution designs within the Rail sector.
The design works will encompass traction power feeding 25 kV AC overhead line, DC 3rd & 4th Rail and Light Rail distribution systems, depots and trackside schemes. The team undertakes all aspects of railway electrical traction power design in the rail environment including survey, design drawings and calculations, technical specifications and reports.
- Undertake distribution design work within a Rail environment.
- Preparation of designs to company, Network Rail, LU, DLR & other applicable standards.
- Prepare design deliverable packages for submission including drawings, equipment specifications and design reports, feasibility studies, option selection, outline and detailed design, and construction support.
- Maintain a good understanding of Atkins Rail business standards of safety, quality and design.
Essential Requirements -
- Further education qualification in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- Proven experience in technical design in Rail or another regulated environment.
- Appropriate experience working within design teams in a project-driven organisation.
- Experience working with detailed electrical engineering design drawings for distribution substation, switchgear, transformers and associated ancillary equipment.
- The successful applicant will be a competent user of IT tools such as Microsoft Office.
Desirable Requirements -
- AC or DC traction electrification experience.
- Incorporated or Chartered Engineer or working towards.
- Experience of planning and providing cost and budgetary control and monitoring.
- Working knowledge of CAD.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs:
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
YourReward at SNC-Lavalin (snclavalin.com).
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed.
Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join.
Check out some of our recent, most exciting projects.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community - a place where we can all be ourselves, thrive and develop. To help embed inclusion for all, from day one, we offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and employee networks to support staff from different backgrounds. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.