We are seeking proactive people who express enthusiasm in improving our passengers’ experience. Your day to day duties may include dispatching trains, protecting company revenue through checking tickets, operating the automatic gates, helping passengers including those who may require extra assistance and ensuring the platforms and station are a clean and safe environment whilst maintaining a visible presence.
This customer facing role involves all aspects of customer service, providing real time information, dealing with difficult conversations and complaints, pro-actively assisting passengers and ensuring all cleaning duties are completed in a thorough manner.
Duties may include:
- Safe and on time dispatch of trains
- Safe operation of the gate line and ticket inspection
- Compliance with all safety requirements and emergency procedures
- Customer service
- Cleaning duties ranging from sweeping platforms to maintaining toilet facilities
- Assisting disabled passengers
- Reporting delays, equipment failures, faults, logging any incidents etc.
- Dealing with lost property
- Attachment and detachment of train services
You will be given full vocational training (including functional skills) to ensure you have the skills, experience and knowledge required for the role.
You will work a varied shift pattern, which includes weekends, bank holidays and night shifts.
You may be required to start work as early as 0530 hrs and some shifts will mean you will finish after the last train has dispatched for the evening – so you will need to have your own transport to get to and from your place of work.
One of our existing station staff said...
"I work different shifts that add up to 35 hours per week, this is great as it allows me to have a lot of free time. I like walking my dog and catching up with friends."
This is what some of our existing station staff have to say....
“I really enjoy giving people advice and reassurance when they’re confused about what train to catch or where to go. Going home at the end of the day, it feels good knowing you’ve helped someone.”
"My work/life balance is quite good, because I work shifts I am able to spend my spare time on things I enjoy, such as spending time with my daughters. I have a lot of job satisfaction working at Southeastern and I am now able to mentor new-entrants to the business. I ensure they are provided with all the necessary support to start their own careers at Southeastern and feel part of a team."
“I’ve been part of the small team that keeps our station running smoothly. Teamwork is really important here, without it the place wouldn’t really work.”
"The shift pattern allows me to have a lot of time for my family. I need it! I have five kids at home and I really enjoy spending time with them."
“I start the day by carrying out a security check, looking for anything that seems suspicious or out of place and these are then carried out every two hours.”
“Between train arrivals, I sweep the platform and clear away litter. That’s essential – it can be a safety hazard as well as making the place look dirty. And besides, it’s always good to hear a customer say something nice about the cleanliness of the station.”
“It’s all about going the extra mile and doing that little bit more – that’s what makes the difference for the customers.”
"I love everything about my job - working outside in the natural light and fresh air, helping people with information and keeping them safe. I also enjoy the camaraderie with colleagues in all positions in the company."
The Ideal Candidate
To be considered for this role you should demonstrate the following in your application:
- Excellent Customer Service skills/experience
- The ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- The ability to work calmly under pressure
- A ‘can do’ attitude
- The ability to deal with difficult passengers
- Knowledge of Southeastern and our values
- Team working skills
Southeastern recognises the value of every individual employee and offers benefits that reflect this.
As well as a generous salary, we offer an comprehensive benefits package which includes;
- A Contributory Final Salary Pension Scheme
- Free rail travel on Southeastern and GTR rail services (extends to family members for leisure/educational travel)
- After a qualifying period, reduced rate travel on other train operators, including European services
- 32 days annual leave entitlement (which includes bank holidays)
- Access to an array of discounts for retail and leisure products through our benefits scheme.
- Family friendly benefits including enhanced maternity/paternity leave, parental leave and carers leave.
- Full training and free uniform
About the Company
Southeastern runs train services into London from Kent and East Sussex, operating almost 1,700 trains a day, carrying more than 400,000 passengers, serving 176 stations and covering 540 miles of track.
Just over 4,600 employees - mostly from the communities that we serve - work together to provide this vital service and we are looking to expand our successful team. We have a strong set of values that shape the way we run our business and guide our staff in delivering what our customers need. These are:
- We aim to be the best
- We make the difference together
- We care passionately about our people and our passengers
We are committed to being an inclusive employer, creating a workplace where everyone can come to work, feel safe and comfortable and able to do everything to the best of their ability. Read about some of the great Diversity and Inclusion initiatives our Head of Colleague Experience has been leading on here.
We recognise the positive value of diversity and it matters to us that our teams reflect the communities we serve. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
We are also proud to be a WORK180 Endorsed Employer for Women. If you would like to know more information about how we are supporting our employees, you can view our policies and initiatives here.