Job Title: Cost Estimator
Location: Birmingham office 5 days per fortnight / Working from home
Contract up until Nov 2024
Develops summary and detailed estimates for the estimating process across High speed 2, providing accurate and robust figures to be used by internal and external stakeholders.
Takes a lead role in estimate reviews and presentations and provides and supports data and cost analysis. Drafts and presents out estimating assurance reports for estimates completed by High speed 2 consultants.
Key functions and responsibilities of the role:
- Deliver estimates and provide input for detailed/bottom -up forecasting outturns against benchmarks, norms and current progress.
- Incorporates best practice from industry estimating and related controls services to support consistent best in class approaches and decision making.
- Provide support to the development of programme wide models including (amongst others) indirect costs, whole life and prelims.
- Responsible for reviewing and assuring estimates from consultants and provides recommendation on rail and civil infrastructure costs.
- Drafts assurance reports and prepares presentations detailing completed estimate or option reviews.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- Degree in engineering, construction management, business management or related field
- Knowledge of rail systems and infrastructure, suppliers, products and related costs.
- Extensive knowledge of capital cost estimating
- Demonstrated ability to readily analyse estimate data and correlate to other projects and to conceptualize the total project scope.
- Demonstrable experience of working with multiple estimating disciplines and a matrix organization including Construction, Engineering, Project Controls, Procurement, Contracts and Commissioning to collect all necessary data on scope and quantities to prepare accurate estimates.
- Must demonstrate advanced level of expertise in the use of MS Word, PowerPoint, Power BI and Excel, typically acquired through multiple years of experience.
- Knowledge of engineering and/or construction management.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
(Grade 26 candidates will be able to demonstrate achievement of a university degree in the required subjects, have experience of working in the rail industry and for large infrastructure projects and can demonstrate experience of extensive cost capital estimating)