The Rail Consulting Practice is made up of three distinct Practices and thirteen Sub-Practices, all of which are supported by a Win Work team. The Rail Systems & Infrastructure (RS&I) Practice within Rail Consulting is a highly successful and respected team of 130+ people providing innovative Systems Thinking across the whole project lifecycle, from early feasibility into procurement, delivery, commissioning and through operations and maintenance and cost-effective solutions to life extension. This robust approach to systems integration, along with our world-class engineering capability, ensures that our clients can identify and overcome the challenges of ever-greater project complexity, meeting delivery and cost targets and providing safe, reliable infrastructure. The Mainline Signalling Sub-Practice has a great market position and reputation with our clients, which include Network Rail, Alstom/Bomardier and High Speed 2 and provides rail industry experts with experience in all areas of mainline signalling, including ETCS and conventional signalling as well as Traffic Management, Control Centres and supporting systems. The Sub-Practice has team members based in our Derby, London, Birmingham, Plymouth and Glasgow offices in the UK.
We offer great scope for developing your career and achieving your goals within Rail Consulting. Working within our team you’ll be able to see the impact you make and gain experience on a wide range of projects. We're passionate about what we do, but we don't take ourselves too seriously. Simply put, this a great place to be and when you join us, you'll be a part of a genuinely collaborative environment, where everyone's voice is valued and treated equally.
To help embed inclusion for all, from day one, we offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and employee networks to support staff from different backgrounds. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability. Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview so we can work with you to make any adjustments you might need.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
As a Consultant working within the Mainline Signalling Sub-Practice, you will report into a Team Leader.
Core Role Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders and support the process of driving sub-practice improvement.
- Be a source of expertise for both colleagues and clients, acting as a role model to all staff, and contribute to high levels of engagement and performance.
- Develop self in order to ensure sub-practice skills and capacity meet the needs of the market.
- Appreciation of external market dynamics, drivers, and associated opportunities in order to support the identification and securing of a pipeline of work for the sub-practice.
- Contribute to bidding activities and provide general input where needed. Foster great client relationships and support the client feedback process to ensure client-facing activities are constantly improved.
- Provide high quality work through the end-to-end delivery process, ensuring that client expectations are exceeded wherever possible.
- Contribute to the governance of specific projects of low to medium complexity by ensuring risk is mitigated through compliance to required corporate and client requirements.
- Contribute to the delivery of financial and operational sub-practice performance in line with budgets and forecasts, seeking out opportunities wherever possible to over-deliver against agreed targets.
- Contribute to the implementation of the sub-practice strategy.
Core Role Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Ability to collaborate and engage effectively across small-to-medium sized teams.
- Track record of developing self to deliver demonstrable results.
- Ability to establish trusted relationships with clients and get satisfaction from meeting and exceeding client expectations.
- Possess knowledge that contributes to the positioning of the sub-practice as a leading partner.
- Possess a proactive and client-focused attitude towards delivery.
- Ability to critically assess projects of low to medium complexity to identify risks and opportunities and use project management processes to balance business and client needs.
- Experience of supporting the creation and successful delivery of financial and operational performance budgets and forecasts, taking inputs from various stakeholders.
- Track record of supporting the implementation of strategies which reconcile the needs of key stakeholders and time horizons.
- Evidence of successful implementation and delivery of these strategies.
- Also possess post graduate experience and expertise commensurate with the role and grade within one of the following sectors or technologies: ETCS, TMS, Railway Signalling, Control Systems, or Operational Control with knowledge of system architecture, and key system features and functions.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs
"To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees ""Total Reward."" It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need."
Your Benefits (snclavalin.com)
More about us
"Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once, they join. We're also a Silver Rating holder in the Aerospace & Defence sector, as per the Financial Times rating of the UK’s leading management consultants."
Check out some of our recent, most exciting projects.
"This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. The vetting process is delivered by United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) and may require candidates to provide proof of residency in the UK of 5 years or longer. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.” #LI-UK #LI-ATKINS #LI-Transportation #RCPBLOGS
How about being part of the change that matters.
Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It's a diverse and inclusive work environment where world-class talent knows no distinctions.
We know that different people have different priorities, which is why we're here to support you.
Flexible and remote working is a central part of our culture. So talk to us about what's ideal for you – from reduced weeks to buying more leave over school holidays. And if you're returning from a career break, ask us how we can help you transition back into work with us.
Read more about how you can thrive with us.
Our Transportation division in the UK brings together the capabilities of their key markets, Strategic Highways, Strategic Rail, Local Transport into a £375m+ turnover business of 3,000 talented engineers, technical professionals and management consultants.
The transport infrastructure sector is experiencing unprecedented levels of investment and Atkins is playing lead roles in key projects across the UK from high-speed rail to major road programmes to digital railway implementation. But it is not just about today, the business is investing, building new capability and services, and working closely with Government, national and local authorities to deliver integrated transport strategies and solutions that support economic growth and improved journeys for all.
To drive the Signalling part of our business forward, in 2019 we established a separate profit centre for the business, and as such have a dedicated communications and change specialist to support the communication and engagement of key change deliverables.
The distinct offer of roles in our Signalling business, where we design, build, test and commission signalling systems for our prime client Network Rail, provides a fantastic opportunity and focus, enabling Atkins to inspire their people and collaborate with their clients to shape the future of transportation.
The successful candidate will deliver all aspects of the business change and internal communications mix including managing the delivery of change initiatives, working with stakeholders to identify and deliver engagement opportunities, providing advice, developing plans, creating tailored messaging and executing tactical activity. It will be your job to deliver activities which engage and involve employees so that they know what is expected of them and what is happening in the company and feel motivated to give their best.
Within this business of 400, the role comes with opportunity to apply your creativity and experience in order to have a positive impact on the way we inform, inspire and involve our people.
The role may require travel within the UK from time to time.
- Degree educated or equivalent qualification in a relevant discipline would be preferred, but is not essential.
- Professional qualification from a relevant discipline would be preferred, but is not essential.
Essential Criteria -
- Proven experience in delivering organisational and project led business change.
- Proven experience in internal communications and/or employee engagement.
- Experience and understanding of various business change and communications models, tools and techniques to achieve desired business outcomes.
- Effective communication skills (visual, written and oral) to sell the business change needs to the stakeholders and audiences.
- Experience of sourcing and creating content for a range of online and offline channels.
- Confident to advise others (including senior stakeholders) on best practice.
- Able to build effective working relationships and influence people.
- High energy, with the drive and enthusiasm to make things happen.
- Highly organised and able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Self-motivated and able to take ownership of projects with limited direction.
- Able to cope with ambiguity and manage stakeholders during periods of change.
Desirable Criteria -
- Knowledge of the markets/industries that the organisation operates in.
- Liaise with key stakeholders and project leads to identify areas of change requiring engagement with the business.
- Develop strong relationships that enable you to fully understand the business strategy, change initiatives that sit within it, the challenges and contexts of the stakeholders and audiences you support.
- Advise stakeholder teams on how to most effectively engage the business on change initiatives.
- Advise project teams leading change initiatives by identifying the impact of change initiatives, providing support to create effective change management plans, supporting the co-ordination of workshops and user groups (if required), and measuring success criteria.
- Support with development and delivery of change and engagement strategy and plans at business and project level.
- Support the Managing Director and Senior Leadership Team with leadership communications to effectively engage our people and update the business on strategy and key milestones throughout the year.
- Devise effective reporting mechanisms and contribute to regular reporting on engagement performance.
- Work with the wider Transportation division’s internal communications manager to provide a consistent communication approach across the business and report on key activity, whilst maintaining existing communication frameworks and channels.
- There is also the opportunity to work with our external communication and marketing teams to improve the industry perception of our Signalling business by supporting with industry events, thought leadership articles, social media posts etc.