You might know us for the great work we do across our wide variety of projects. We're proud to say it's thanks to our people's diversity of thought, expertise and knowledge. And when you join us, you'll be a part of this genuinely collaborative environment, where everyone's voice is valued and treated equally.
We're passionate about what we do, but we don't take ourselves too seriously. Simply put, this is a great place to be. So, when it comes to your life outside of work, ask us about our flexible and remote working policies designed to help you get the most out of life.
This role is within the Transportation Consultancy business, which has an excellent record in delivering strategic transport advice to a wide range of clients including some of the largest public and private sector organisations in the UK, particularly in Rail, Highways and Local Transport markets. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility. We are passionate about the importance of Net Zero and the role that Transportation must play in meeting the global requirements.
Read more about how you can thrive with us.
The transportation sector is experiencing unprecedented levels of investment and Atkins is playing lead roles in projects to upgrade existing transport networks to deliver future demand including major new road schemes, high-speed rail as well as extensive public transport enhancements. We are also working closely with our clients to adapt to the evolving Covid-19 environment. Our teams are currently delivering exciting projects throughout the transportation sector. We are at the forefront of national and international policy making, supporting key decision makers at all levels.
We are currently looking for talented professionals to act in the interests of our clients in the development and delivery of their transport projects, identifying, defining and agreeing the outputs and sponsor/user requirements, developing, and supporting the management of business cases, supporting the securing of funding, and managing stakeholders both internally within the client organisation and externally. This is an exciting time to join us and contribute to the growth of our business. So, whether you are a Leader in your field or just starting out on your career, we would love to hear from you. We are recruiting for UK Wide offices including but not limited to London, Manchester, Warrington, Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Epsom, Glasgow and Edinburgh.
Our Team thrives on:
You will be a part of a growing, multidisciplinary team who is well-established in the space of planning consulting services. In your role you will be:
- Pursuing new work winning opportunities in line with our business Growth Strategy with local authorities.
- Leading on bidding opportunities for new work with both existing and new clients.
- Identifying growth areas and unlocking funds/sponsorship for client.
- Leading multidiscipline requirements.
- Overseeing projects and programmes from start to finish.
- Supporting local authorities in the development and implementation of appropriate project authority and governance processes.
- Support the development and delivery of procurement transactions along with supporting the negotiation and closing of associated commercial agreements.
- Prepare reports, proposals and presentations for internal and client use.
- Mentoring colleagues by supporting them in their work winning and project delivery roles.
- Nurturing and developing strong client relationships providing continuity and support.
- You would be leading growth and project delivery activities across our local authority contracts. You will work on projects end-to-end, covering all aspects of multidisciplinary strategic advice, design and management from inception to options appraisal through to detailed scheme design and delivery support. You will be communicating with stakeholders at varying levels, shaping an approach for the governance and deployment solutions in large organisations.
You are someone that displays some of the following qualities:
- You have experience of client-side sponsorship of transport projects including; leading feasibility development, developing and securing budgets, managing stakeholders and production and ownership of business cases.
- A Strong understanding of local authority frameworks.
- You understand business problems and can lead business development and strategic thought leadership for a diverse portfolio of clients.
- You show leadership to those around you.
- You will understand the demands of large-scale projects with multiple stakeholders.
- You can work autonomously generating ideas for winning work and providing growth opportunities.
- You are a creative and critical thinker, eager to expand further your skills according to project needs.
- You are results-oriented with ability to understand wider business strategies.
- Beyond providing high-quality solutions, you are also capable of interpreting and communicating recommendations to a variety of stakeholders of varying seniority and technical know-how.
- You can realise a client’s needs and secure consent through the various scheme development processes.
- You can work across multidisciplinary specialists and convey complex information to clients/stakeholders in simple language.
- Capable of managing a challenging and varying workload which can change at short notice.
- Good team player, with excellent communication skills and open to new ideas/ways of doing things.
- Excellent stakeholder management with focus on nurturing and developing strong relationships.
- Ability to work as a part of a team adding expertise and value to project deliverables as needed.
- A project management qualification, e.g. APM, PMI or PRINCE 2 or aspire to work towards.
- Strong consulting skills, knowledge and experience of a variety of techniques and methods to capture, elaborate and understand client challenges (structured thinking, effective report writing and presentations, and strong stakeholder engagement).
- Good negotiation, communication and relationship building skills; able to influence business decisions and formulate positive relationships with customers, strategic partners and colleges.
You can bring any of the following:
- Significant experience in the delivery of transport, infrastructure, regeneration and environmental projects.
- Experience of delivering planning consents for projects, working with multi-disciplinary teams.
- A strong understanding of Local authority frameworks.
- Sound knowledge and experience of the UK planning system.
- Proven track record of work winning.
- A strong grounding in statutory procedures applicable to the consenting of projects, including EIA, DCO etc.
- Proven track record of strong client relationships, leading projects, frameworks or programmes.
- Sustained success with the implementation of operational and technical action plans to improve delivery.
- A track record in the Transport sector, delivering Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects Recognised technical, senior leadership capability with a successful record of delivery.
- Role model in the leadership, management and delivery of excellent strategies and projects.
- Evidence of thought leadership in infrastructure consenting, such as involvement in NIPA, strong networks of planners, presence at the PINS, and wider industry bodies and appearance at conferences.
- Experience of giving evidence at Development Consent Order examinations and/or TWAO or TCPA public inquiries.
- Experience of preparing and submitting major consents applications, drafting reports, feasibility studies, masterplans and regeneration strategies.
- Experience of working with environmental professionals in delivering compliant environmental impact assessments.
- Experience of working with a range of client bodies including both private sector and public sector, including secondments.
- Experience in managing proposals or acting as a bid director or technical lead for multidisciplinary projects with accountabilities for the successful commercial, financial, and technical outcomes.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs:
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
YourReward at SNC-Lavalin (snclavalin.com).
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a top global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed.
Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join.
Check out some of our recent, most exciting projects.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community - a place where we can all be ourselves, thrive and develop. To help embed inclusion for all, from day one, we offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and employee networks to support staff from different backgrounds. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.