Your New Role:
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Civil Engineer - Bridges to join our Rail Delivery account in York.
The Civils Assessment Framework Agreement (CAFA) team comprises approximately 60 Engineers and Technicians at all levels. Our core work is producing the technical assessments for a wide array of railway bridges and structures across the UK, for clients such as Network Rail, Transport for Wales and Local Authorities. Our experienced engineers use a range of design tools to ensure we deliver consistent assessment results to our clients, including 3D CAD, structural analysis and Finite Element modelling systems such as Archie-M, Limit State Ring, SuperSTRESS, STAAD Pro and Lusas. As part of the assessment process, we also plan and undertake the initial inspections of these structures, using a variety of specialist access techniques, from confined spaces to rope access, and new technologies such as 3D laser scanning, 360° cameras and aerial drones to collect all the information required to complete a full structural analysis.
Civil Engineer plays an important part fulfilling the duties of a Civil Engineer in the assessment of rail structures, including; Underline bridges, Overline bridges, Footbridges, Undercrofts, Canopies, Train and Depot sheds, Side Bridges, Tunnels (that directly support external traffic loads), Other structures.
The standard hours of work are 37.5 hours per week.
You will be responsbile for:
- Preparation and check of technical assessment/design remits, calculations, reports and drawings, which are technically sound engineering solutions, complying with all relevant technical standards and client requirements.
- Preparation for and undertaking of site work to carry out inspection for assessments and inspection/examination of assets, providing on-site technical leadership, where required.
- Comply with technical standards, consistent with the project Technical Specification and in accordance with the requirements of the Amey Integrated Management System including Health & Safety, Environmental and all other appropriate regulations relevant standards and HSEQ documentation.
- Maintaining knowledge of industry best practice and where appropriate applying best practice and independent engineering judgement within the team environment.
- Assisting with supervision and mentoring of less experienced or junior staff in the production of technical drawings, reports, calculations and provision of feedback as appropriate.
- Provide office or contract level support to the training, mentoring and development of staff to achieve appropriate professional qualifications and career ambitions, playing an active role in the delivery of training programmes.
- Engaging in client and third-party liaison and maintaining good working relationships that enhance the reputation of the company.
- Aim to ensure that health, safety and environmental compliance requirements, including the CDM Regulations, are applied within a defined proportion of the CAFA business.
- Support the project team in the preparation of cost estimates and subsequent successful delivery of commissions to programme, within budget and to the client’s requirements.
We want to hear from you if you have:
- Bachelors or Masters degree in an appropriate subject.
- Chartered Engineer or Incorporated Engineer (CEng / IEng through ICE, CIHT or IStructE), OR, has demonstrable relevant experience and actively working towards professional qualification.
- Able to satisfy the requirements as training support/manager for an appropriate professional institution, e.g. Delegated Engineer (DE) for the Institution of Civil Engineers.
- Significant experience in railway structure inspection, assessment and design schemes.
- Experience in the assessment / design of all major construction materials, including historical materials, e.g. cast iron, wrought iron.
- Knowledge of current and relevant health and safety, environmental and sustainability legislation.
- Previous exposure to local and national Clients, e.g. Network Rail Routes, Local Authorities, Network Rail National, Principal Contractors.
- Experience in the delivery of structure designs and/or assessments through Highways England and/or Network Rail national standards.
- Driving License - preferable
What we offer you:
- Career Development - Exceptional development and progression plan
- Pension – Generous Pension scheme which we will contribute to
- Holidays - Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Choices - Our flexible benefits scheme is tailored by you, including buying additional annual leave, cycle2work scheme, charity giving and gym membership
- Save with Amey - Our online voucher portal gives you access to thousands of discounts from leading retailers to help you save on shopping, days out, or nights in. It includes healthcare, free GP service, dental vouchers
- Social Value - You’ll get 2 Community Involvement Days each year to volunteer for a charity of your choice and further opportunities to support fundraising initiatives
Amey is committed to Inclusion and Diversity. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates, regardless of their race, gender, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Please contact our recruitment team at PeopleServices@amey.co.uk to discuss any access needs and reasonable adjustments that may be required at any point during the recruitment process.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy before the closing date should we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.
Apply today – We are excited to hear from you!