SNC-Lavalin is a leader in the provision of assurance services (certification, safety, compliance) to the rail industry and is seeking high calibre individuals to enhance this service area. This is an ideal opportunity for individuals wishing to develop their career in an organisation that will provide wide-ranging opportunities across all rail systems.
The rail industry has an increasing number of ongoing projects for new-build and modified rolling stock, infrastructure changes and signalling upgrades(Including ETCS deployment on trackside and on existing and new trains).
Many of these projects implement comprehensive assurance processes to achieve regulatory authorisation, or to gain the approval of asset owners and operators. The assurance role offers the opportunity of working in a wide variety of technical areas.
Our engineers manage the interface between clients and specialist engineers, monitoring progress against the overall project goals whilst keeping a close eye on the technical detail. Such engineers are in high demand, have excellent career prospects, and enjoy a high variety of work. SNC-Lavalin requires a flexible and adaptable person who is keen to develop professionally. The successful candidate will be a leader in / support the delivery of assurance assignments, coordination of technical assessments and formal feedback to clients and, either by acting as Project Manager or supporting other Project Managers across a variety of projects, ensure projects are delivered in line with the agreed requirements.
To successfully deliver this role you will be expected to:
- Understand clients’ requirements and how they fit into the wider assurance regime, and identifying and developing options beyond a given brief where this will better meet a client’s needs.
- Lead / Support the delivery of assignments of medium levels of complexity from start to finish, and supporting across other projects as required.
- Ensure scope, time, cost and quality requirements are met and risks and issues are identified and managed accordingly.
- Ensure that all work is undertaken in accordance with SNC-Lavalin’s procedures by ensuring compliance of own work and review and approval of other internal work as required.
- Work efficiently and effectively and proactively contribute to helping the team deliver on various projects and other activities.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships both within SNC-Lavalin and with clients (including networking to create new relationships).
- Manage the expectations of clients and other affected parties and be able to present a compelling case when suggesting ideas both technically and in relation to the management of the project (for example timescales and costs), ultimately helping work towards sensible agreements.
- Ensure client’s expectations are met and exceeded throughout project delivery.
- Coordinate technical assessments with specialist engineering teams and perform technical assessments where the appropriate competencies have been demonstrated.
- Production and review of documentation such as bids and various key project deliverables (typically in Ms Word, Excel or pdf format).
- Develop (with appropriate support and experience) with the aim to expand the role to incorporate additional technical competencies, enabling review of additional areas of technical compliance and management of more complex projects.
The successful candidate(s) will fulfil the following requirements:
- Experience in engineering design, production, and/or review of compliance evidence within a regulated industry.
- A methodical and proactive approach to assignment planning and delivery.
- An eye for technical detail, but in the context of much wider project goals.
- A degree in engineering or equivalent experience.
- Ability to critically assess projects and situations, identifying potential solutions.
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and non-confrontational manner.
- Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships.
- Ability to lead / support client meetings including presentation, negotiation and agreement of key requirements, related both to technical aspects (supported by specialists as required) and project delivery.
- A desire to take on the responsibilities of being part of a flexible and supportive team.
- Knowledge in one or more railway systems, e.g. rolling stock, infrastructure, signalling (Including ETCS).
- Achieved / working towards either Incorporated or Charted Engineer status.
- Experience of working closely with clients including face-to-face meetings and leading and presenting in meetings.
- Provision of Notified/Approved Body, Designated Body, Assessment Body and Independent Assessment.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs:
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
YourReward at SNC-Lavalin (snclavalin.com).
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a top global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed.
Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join.
Check out some of our recent, most exciting projects.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community - a place where we can all be ourselves, thrive and develop. To help embed inclusion for all, from day one, we offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and employee networks to support staff from different backgrounds. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.