Your New role:
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Permanent Assistant Bridge Engineer - Rail to join our CAFA account in York - On-site role.
CAFA - Civils Assessment Framework Agreement Amey has been working in partnership with Network Rail since 2009 to deliver the Civils Examinations and Assessment Framework Agreements. We are responsible to undertake the examination and assessment of railway structures across the UK. Across the country our teams deliver several different workstreams within Civil Examinations/Assessments; broadly categorised into structures examinations, structures assessments, operational property inspections/assessments and earthworks examinations. By gathering intelligence around the condition of them and how they are developing and changing, this will form the basis of decision making for future intervention and safety of the assets to prevent functional failure. These assets are part of the heritage of our country, and we need to ensure that they are safe to meet today's needs as well as tomorrow's.
We also operate a 24/7 365 days a year on-call service so that we can respond promptly to any incidents and inspect the site to ensuring we keep trains and passengers moving.
Assistant Civil Engineer - Rail plays an important part in delivering assessments of rail structures (bridges & buildings) in accordance with technical standards and health and safety requirements.
The standard hours of work are 37.5 hrs per week.
Work-life balance and flexibility are key for our success. We empower our people to make choices that are right for them, with hybrid, part-time and flexible work patterns. And with a network of offices across the UK, we're open to discussing working options that suit you.
You will be repsonsible for:
- Preparation of technical assessment/design remits, calculations, reports and drawings, which are technically sound engineering solutions, complying with all relevant technical standards and client requirements.
- Preparation for and undertaking of site work to carry out inspection for assessments and inspection/examination of assets.
- Comply with technical standards, consistent with the project Technical Specification and in accordance with the requirements of the Amey Integrated Management System including Health & Safety, Environmental and all other appropriate regulations relevant standards and HSEQ documentation.
- Maintaining knowledge of industry best practice and where appropriate applying best practice and independent engineering judgement within the team environment.
- Assisting and mentoring of less experienced or junior staff in the production of technical drawings, reports and provision of feedback as appropriate.
- Maintain health, safety and environmental compliance requirements, including the CDM Regulations.
- Support the project team in the preparation of cost estimates and subsequent successful delivery of commissions to programme, within budget and to the client's requirements.
We want to hear from you if you have:
- Civil engineering background -in Highways/ rail structures & bridges with design and assessments.
- Computer literate and conversant with MS office, relevant industry design and analyses software (superstress, Lusas, Tedds and archie-m etc)
Ideally you will be qualified with a relevant Bachelors/ Master's degree and working towards a chartership.
In addition to this, it would be desirable if you have PTS to help you hit the ground running, although this is not essential as we will provide you with the required development you need to bring you up to speed.
What we offer you:
When you join us, we can offer flexibility, career development, a choice of benefits and support that help you through all life's ups and downs. It's the reason why Investors in People put us among the top 1% of employers and we have a competitive reward and benefits program
- Career Development - Exceptional development and progression plan
- Pension - Generous Pension scheme which we will contribute to
- Holidays - Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Choices - Our flexible benefits scheme is tailored by you, including buying additional annual leave, cycle2work scheme, charity giving and gym membership
- Save with Amey - Our online voucher portal gives you access to thousands of discounts from leading retailers to help you save on shopping, days out, or nights in. It includes healthcare, free GP service, dental vouchers
- Social Value - You'll get 2 Community Involvement Days each year to volunteer for a charity of your choice and further opportunities to support fundraising initiatives
We embrace difference and support individuals to work in ways that work best for them.
We are committed to working sustainably and by working in partnership with the communities we serve, so people and the planet are protected.
At Amey, you have freedom to perform because we know if nothing holds you back, together, we can be extraordinary.
Who is Amey?
- We are at the heart of modern Britain, helping the economy to grow by designing, maintaining and transforming the nation's strategic assets.
- Our 11,000 people are behind the critical services the country relies on every day.
- Our unique engineering and operations experience, together with data driven insight from our consulting business, delivers better results for our clients.
- We are trusted partners of Government - both national and local - managing assets and complex projects that are vital to the sustainable growth of the country.
To find out more take a look at our website www.amey.co.uk
Amey is committed to Inclusion and Diversity. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates, regardless of their race, gender, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Please contact our recruitment team at to discuss any access needs and reasonable adjustments that may be required at any point during the recruitment process.
Apply today - We are excited to hear from you!